1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
"Don't worry. They'll get out of the way. I learned that driving the Saratoga." ~~Captain Ron

;)

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately the two critical crewmen died of injuries according to the latest on the global post page
That's unfortunate news. But, it begs the question as to how? I learned to sail in Galveston Bay, a major shipping route. At night, I never sailed out far enough to cross the shipping channel. During the day, large ships could be seen for miles, and you could adjust your course accordingly. From the reports I've seen on NHK World, it was daylight with unlimited visibility. And yet, two ships collided. It was obviously an unfortunate accident, but, I wonder what, if any, mistakes were made by either Captain, that allowed this to happen.

·
Registered
16,464 Posts
Weird thing. Photos of the boats here:

PressTV - 2 killed in boat collision in western Japan

It seems that it happened very close to the coast and that Navy boat is really a Ship.

Funny thing is that they say in the news:

"when the small fishing boat collided with the 8,900-ton naval transport ship"

it seems to me that it was most likely the other way around:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
If the fishing boat was immobilized (by engine trouble, for example), or at anchor, and in the path of the ship, and no one on either vessel saw the other in time to raise an alarm, the ship could have collided with the fishing boat.

Unless the fishing boat was in the path of the ship, and the ship's watches did not see it, and none of the four aboard the fishing boat saw or heard the ship coming, and the fishing boat made no attempt to avoid the ship, and the ship made no attempt to avoid the fishing boat, it seems more likely the fishing boat hit the ship. The wording of the reports implies that the fishing boat was under power. The fishing boat is far more maneuverable than the ship and would need much less time to avoid a collision, or cause one.

Maybe the two surviving crewmembers will have the rest of the story.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts