SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahoy,

I'm a newbie to offshore passage making (1 gulf crossing, 4 Galveston to Port A runs & 1 FFL to St Augustine) and am looking at moving my 41' Morgan Classic to Jordan Pt. on the James River in May. Any advice? Links I can read? Most of the posts I've found talk about North to South. I did read some of the Cape Hatteras posts but, they talk about early spring/ late fall.

What I think I know:
1. Don't try it in any north winds
2. Stay away from Cape Hatteras
3. Take the ditch if there is any questions

Specifically I'd like to know:
1. Should I grab the near edge, far edge, or middle of the Gulf Stream?
2. Where should I get in/out?
3. What are the max winds I should consider in my weather window?
4. S? SE? SW?
5. Can I use only VHF for weather?
6. Best/worst ports in a storm?
7. Can I expect to make it in 10 days max with a good window?
8. What kind of seas can I expect in a good weather window?
9. Should I hire someone with local knowledge and experience?
10. Anything and everything else

P.S. The boat is in a lot better shape than I am. New sails, standing & running rigging, multiple anchors, new chain, lots of safety stuff including life raft and EPIRBs, ditch bag, chart plotter w/ radar, good motor…ect

Capt. Shad

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
I think you are on the right tract and I trust that you will be fine. Just watch the weather window, you will have a nice ride and enjoy the GS at its finest.

At any cost, duck into port or sail east

Too late to duck if you are there already, sail east

If your boat can go in ICW, sure.

It is not so easy to know exactly where you are relatively to the current. Use water temp to guide you and speed gained over boat speed.

Charleston or Wilmington is nice.

Depending on your skills and boat, I would keep it under 30 kn. If the wind is coming from the north 15 kn in the GS is too much for me, why beat your self up?

4. S? SE? SW?
Those for good wind. :)

No, not too reliable. Use SSB receiver and iDevice to weather fax

See above

This is plenty. We just got our boat in Annapolis last week starting from Jamaica. in our last leg, we did it in 4.5 days from FLL to Annapolis after subtracting the 12 hour anchorage in Southport, NC. We have 15 kn northeast wind, we ducked in Southport. Next day, we headed to Hatteras after the wind clocked over to the south in 32 to 37 kn steady. We were flying. :)

Nice, calm and easy sail.

64 million dollar question. No one can answer your question.

Have fun. Weather is everything. Study the weather pattern 10 days prior to the departure, keep a mental "BIG" picture how the weather moves

I am sure many will charm in later. Good luck.

·
Registered
431 Posts
For Item 3, if you have to duck in at Beaufort and are motoring at night, you might want to know this:
Cruiser's Net » Archive » US 70, Morehead City ? Newport River Bridge Repairs, AICW Statute Mile 203.8
While few cruisers will be affected by these night-time repairs, it’s good to be aware of any unusual activities on the Waterway. High-Rise US 70 bridge crosses the Waterway just north of the Morehead City Railway and connects Morehead City and Beaufort, NC.

NC – BEAUFORT INLET AND SOUTHERN CORE SOUND – NEWPORT RIVER – BRIDGE REPAIR
Mariners are advised that concrete and shotcrete repairs will be conducted at the US 70/High Rise (fixed) Bridge, at AICW mile 203.8, across Newport River in Morehead City, NC beginning April 14, 2014 and continue through July 14, 2014, between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. A temporary snooper crane/work platform shall be suspended at various locations from atop the bridge along with a barge in the waterway. The waterway shall remain open. We advise mariners to check for future notices on this project and should use extreme caution when transiting the area. Chart: 11545 LNM: 14/14

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
You don't mention if you'll have crew or not. Or if so, how experienced they are.

I single hand and go north in a series of overnight hops. From Jax, I head to Charleston, then to the Beaufort Inlet. From there I go inside, where depending on how hard I want to push it, it takes me from 4-6 days to hit Newport.

·
Master Mariner
9,188 Posts
I think you are on the right tract and I trust that you will be fine. Just watch the weather window, you will have a nice ride and enjoy the GS at its finest.

At any cost, duck into port or sail east

Too late to duck if you are there already, sail east

If your boat can go in ICW, sure.

It is not so easy to know exactly where you are relatively to the current. Use water temp to guide you and speed gained over boat speed.

Charleston or Wilmington is nice.

Depending on your skills and boat, I would keep it under 30 kn. If the wind is coming from the north 15 kn in the GS is too much for me, why beat your self up?

4. S? SE? SW?
Those for good wind. :)

No, not too reliable. Use SSB receiver and iDevice to weather fax

See above

This is plenty. We just got our boat in Annapolis last week starting from Jamaica. in our last leg, we did it in 4.5 days from FLL to Annapolis after subtracting the 12 hour anchorage in Southport, NC. We have 15 kn northeast wind, we ducked in Southport. Next day, we headed to Hatteras after the wind clocked over to the south in 32 to 37 kn steady. We were flying. :)

Nice, calm and easy sail.

64 million dollar question. No one can answer your question.

Have fun. Weather is everything. Study the weather pattern 10 days prior to the departure, keep a mental "BIG" picture how the weather moves

I am sure many will charm in later. Good luck.
Aren't you the guy who asked nearly the exact same question just a few days ago? So now you are the expert who feels he can advise others?
What a difference a few days makes....Huh?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
For your first attempt at such a trip, I'd be inclined to aim toward PBzeer's approach, breaking the trip up to Beaufort into a pair of overnights with a stop in Charleston, or Edisto Beach.

If you do that, forget about looking for the Gulf Stream, it won't be worth heading that far out to catch any significant ride, perhaps with the exception of out around Frying Pan. If you are looking for the GS that time of the year, it shouldn't be too hard to find - it will often lie directly beneath the dark rain clouds during the daytime, or the intense lightning activity at night :) Unless you have a pretty settled, dry weather pattern, I wouldn't suggest messing with it for a first-timer...

Going out around Cape Fear can often be a bit of a crapshoot, it's another spot like Hatteras which often seems do develop its own weather... If in doubt, with an ICW-capable boat like yours, going back inside at Southport, running up the Cape Fear River on a flood tide, than back outside again at Masonboro/Wrightsville can work out very nicely. Cape Fear Entrance can be done at night, but you want to try to avoid it on the ebb, it can get a bit messy, and will take you forever to get in.

Unless you get incredibly favorable SW conditions for staying out around Hatteras and running up the beach, I think going in at Beaufort and up inside to Norfolk is a no-brainer... The Beaufort/Morehead area is really a nice spot to unwind... If you're running ahead of schedule, or can build in a bit of extra time, I'd highly recommend a side trip out to Cape Lookout Bight, or a stop in Ocracoke by taking the Pamlico Sound route instead of the ICW, those happen to be 2 of my favorite spots along the coast, and both should still be pretty quiet and uncrowded that early in the season...

Good luck, enjoy...

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
Aren't you the guy who asked nearly the exact same question just a few days ago? So now you are the expert who feels he can advise others?
What a difference a few days makes....Huh?
Oh god, here we go again. Please judge me by my answers and not the color of my skin. Stop trolling. You suck the fun out of coming to Sailnet to learn and to share. Cut it out.

I believe in sharing info and you don't need to proclaim you are an expert to help others. Sailing is not a rocket science. It is not so difficult, you can come down your high horse. Sailing can't be more difficult than linear algebra or mapping the human genome.

I learn things faster than you, and have more education than you and have more money in the bank than you. Oh, btw, I don't even have my own boat, so bite me. :mad:

Geez... so get off my back. I meant you "Capta"

·
美国华人, 帆船
2,528 Posts
And the OP who asked the question in here does not mean he is an idiot either. Please do not assume that.

People come here to learn and do their due diligent. That is nothing wrong with that. :mad:

·
Master Mariner
9,188 Posts
Oh god, here we go again. Please judge me by my answers and not the color of my skin. Stop trolling. You suck the fun out of coming to Sailnet to learn and to share. Cut it out.

I believe in sharing info and you don't need to proclaim you are an expert to help others. Sailing is not a rocket science. It is not so difficult, you can come down your high horse. Sailing can't be more difficult than linear algebra or mapping the human genome.

I learn things faster than you, and have more education than you and have more money in the bank than you. Oh, btw, I don't even have my own boat, so bite me. :mad:

Geez... so get off my back. I meant you "Capta"
Unfortunately for you I am judging you by your posts, not the color of your skin, which I've never seen. I'm absolutely positive you think you do "learn things faster than you, and have more education than you and have more money in the bank than you." After all you have learned everything you need to know to advise others just a few days after you asked the same question on here. Well done!

Reactions: willyd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all. I'll ad everyone's advice to the "Stew of Knowlege".

"You can spend a lifetime studing the art of sailing...or just ask someone who knows then try it yourself."

Me

1 - 10 of 10 Posts