SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a boat in 38-42 foot range and this one came across the radar. My concern is that it was built in the ODAY plant. I know the Oday has a reputation for poorly designed boats (by some opinions) but what about build quality? Looks like it was a design licensed to be built by ODAY. Any thoughts? It looks like a decent design from the dock.

1984 O'Day 39 Jeanneau Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
The design is a Jeanneau Sun Fizz. You can find info on the O'Day at iheartoday.com or for the jeanneau version at http://www.jeanneau-owners2.com. Jeanneau also has a forum that can be found Home | Jeanneau Owners Network Forum. I do not personally know of an O'day forum. I also know of a dutch and french speaking Jeanneau forum too.

At one time O'Day, ranger, Cal, and Jeanneau were all owned by the same parent company. Cal and O'day brought over, or were internally granted the license to build Jeanneau boats here in NA. The boats from this time frame are reasonably solid boats. But like all boats great and small, there are some issues too. Designer is Phillip Briand.

If it were me, I would take a look at it, if well cared for, a good boat to have. Very seaworth. One was recently used for an around the world voyage. A smaller 34' Jeanneau of the same time period was also used as a non stop voyage around the globe about 5 yrs ago. I also know of an Arcadia that won a local race, and got 2 sloopers a week or two ago too. I will not say who that was or is..............

Marty

1 - 2 of 2 Posts