SailNet Community banner
281 - 300 of 300 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello - possible new Attalia owner here - currently on a CS27 sailing on Lake Ontario. Love the Attalia, just a little concerned about the apparent lightness of it - 7500lbs for a 32' boat seems light. Any experience on how it handles in heavier wind/swell would be appreciated. We wouldn't be out in a Gale, but want to be able to sail in 20-25 knots if it picks up to that and we get swell of a couple of meters sometimes as well. Any experience appreciated!

·
Not quite Senior Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #283 ·
Well, we sailed in all sorts of wind and with a reef ( sometimes two) ... just fine. Very stable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks, that's good to hear - I imagine you have even bigger conditions sometimes where you are now, any advice on conditions where the Attalia might not be "happy"?

·
Not quite Senior Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #285 ·
Frankly, not really. I’m back in Canada now but I remember sailing close-hauled on Lake Ontario in decent swells. She was responsive. Although I found that I got tired holding the tiller for a few hours.

She does not like having too much sail.
I have not sailed many boats of equivalent size but assume it’s pretty similar.

Always better less canvas than more , especially on Lake Ontario where you often run up against these in pleasant microbursts.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
I've had my Arcadia out in 34-40+ winds. Double reef, 110 or better yet the storm jib! I use in Puget Sound with waves to 6'/2meters or there about at the most. Worst for me is when the tide is going against the wind waves. Then we get short steep waves. My boat any how has a flat section forward of the keel. So I get some pounding in these conditions.
I' maybe 2' shorter at best, mid 6000 lbs per brochure.
Oh a triple reef would be good if you go in winds much over 30-35 too. When I get a new main, i will be adding this option!

Marty

·
Old enough to know better
4,346 Posts
Just happened to notice the Sailboat Data page showing LOA of 30.54', which surprised me - https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/attalia-32-jeanneau - I assumed it was at least close to 32'. Looking around I see slight variations, up to 31'10" here - https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/attalia-32-jeanneau - anyone able to confirm what the LOA should be?
I think sailboat data only uses length on deck measurement, even though they call it LOA. They cover a lot of boats so some of there information is not always 100% accurate, but you get what you pay for. The 31 foot 10 inches would be LOA and is typical of a 1/2 tonner of the day. In the grand scheme of things there really is not much difference between 30.5 and 31.8. A good review if you have not seen it.

·
Registered
Tartan 34C
672 Posts
They do seem to be a wee light, but the owner I know is happy with it. Interestingly, we 'raced' for about 20 minutes off the leslie spit with a Easterly of 15 knots. My boat? A CS27, (which I sold a month ago). We were neck and neck the whole time. He was heeled a lot in my opinion, but that could be due poor sail trim. My CS had a new 135, and I am a brilliant sailor, so that could have been an issue :). You may notice a difference coming from a boat that is built like a tank - seriously, a CS27 is about as tank like as a boat can get - I'm sure it could sail over rocks, but I'm sure it will do just fine in the lake.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Attalia19821987Michel Joubert + Bernard Nivelt 9.70 9.20 7.90 3.20 1.755 3.00 3.40 1.20
Attalia 32 l/k19821987Michel Joubert + Bernard Nivelt9.70 9.20 7.90 3.20 1.20 to 2.005 3.00 3.50 1.40
This is the specs per on the jeanneau owners site for the attallia. numbers are for Overall Length Hull Length Waterline Beam Draft Sail Area Displacement Ballast. please note metric numbers. So hull length of 9.2M is just over 30', and the 9.7 loa is 31.82'. Jeanneau in that time frame used literal LOA as advertised length. I believe other European world builders did that. Here in NA they did sales by deck length. which would be a 30' boat. So if you compared an Attalia to a catlina 30, you will find them to be similar. For my Arcadia, I am very similar to a Cat 28 Hunter 28 models, C&C 28 etal. Weights will vary depending upon what is inside the boat, ie if it has a shower, hot water etc, it will weigh more. If not, then less. Also fuel and water quantity too.

Marty

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone Im a new “Attalia 32 1984” co owner with my father (who is very experienced at sailing ,and me a complete novice , although I’ve had many boats and have worked in a boat yard for the last 20 years ) but sailing is still new to me . Our boat has been laid up for 10plus years and we’re slowing getting her ready for this season. Ours is the lifting keel version (which is stuck at present) which I initially thought was perfect for where I work as the marina dries out completely to mud, but after reading on here a few pages back that I can expect muddy water or mud to seep through the hole where the lifting rope is !! It’s not the end of the world because I can put her on our deep water mooring but I’d prefer her in the yard where I can keep a daily eye on her. My last 2 lifting keel sail boats have not been a problem in my berth but they were both shoal draft ?? Any way ours sounds very similar to everyone else’s and has a lovely light airy feel to her down below and I was assured by the previous owner that she flies when sailing.
The one post I keep seeing throughout this thread is the ingress of water from aft whilst sailing ( I can’t remember whose post it was ) but did you ever find the cause ??
Look forward to any replies
Nick
Cornwall UK

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Everyone Im a new “Attalia 32 1984” co owner with my father (who is very experienced at sailing ,and me a complete novice , although I’ve had many boats and have worked in a boat yard for the last 20 years ) but sailing is still new to me . Our boat has been laid up for 10plus years and we’re slowing getting her ready for this season. Ours is the lifting keel version (which is stuck at present) which I initially thought was perfect for where I work as the marina dries out completely to mud, but after reading on here a few pages back that I can expect muddy water or mud to seep through the hole where the lifting rope is !! It’s not the end of the world because I can put her on our deep water mooring but I’d prefer her in the yard where I can keep a daily eye on her. My last 2 lifting keel sail boats have not been a problem in my berth but they were both shoal draft ?? Any way ours sounds very similar to everyone else’s and has a lovely light airy feel to her down below and I was assured by the previous owner that she flies when sailing.
The one post I keep seeing throughout this thread is the ingress of water from aft whilst sailing ( I can’t remember whose post it was ) but did you ever find the cause ??
Look forward to any replies
Nick
Cornwall UK
It was Waymar 83 with the water problem .

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
TUrfs,

Jeanneau-owners.com there is a forum, along with if you facebook, you probably will get quicker answers to your issue. If this is an issue for Attalia;s, its probably an issue for other boats from that 80s era, be it an Arcadia as I have, but fixed keel or the sunshine 36 and a few others.

Marty

·
Not quite Senior Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #294 ·
Anybody still looking at these posts? If so, I was wondering if any of you have dealt with a soft deck and if so how? Boat that old will need some work… and I now have to tackle it. I’m not too concerned about cutting the deck out, replacing the rotten balsa core and glassing over it… but what do you do after ? The nonslip deck , colour, etc… unless you go from below deck , which offers another set of challenges…

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just re-did a cockpit floor and I used KiwiGrip for the finishing. Just rough sanded the surface and painted over and it came out great. I practiced on a piece of wood to get the right consistency finish - you water it down to get a finer texture, or if you use it out of the can you get a very rough finish, all depends on what you want. They have a good video on their site too. KiwiGrip | Non-Skid Coating

·
Not quite Senior Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #296 ·
Just re-did a cockpit floor and I used KiwiGrip for the finishing. Just rough sanded the surface and painted over and it came out great. I practiced on a piece of wood to get the right consistency finish - you water it down to get a finer texture, or if you use it out of the can you get a very rough finish, all depends on what you want. They have a good video on their site too. KiwiGrip | Non-Skid Coating
Thanks for that! I looked at the video and it looks simple. It would not be the same as original, but I am considering it. I have to do parts of the foredeck .… and am still wondering about esthetics with an eventual mix of surfaces . Did you do anything about colour? It’s a bit different in the cockpit as it’s well defined. Thanks again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used the off-white colour without tinting, but I wasn't too concerned about matching colour. Apparently you can tint them, so if I wanted to match I would have got the white and tinted it to a lighter off white. It looked nice, just didn't match the rest of the deck.

·
Not quite Senior Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #298 ·
So I did get a quote for the deck… and asked what materials . I had assumed it would be epoxy with a balsa core and had concerns about the esthetics and matching the non-skid surface and colour. I was a little bit surprised when I was told it would be polyester resin.
Has anybody had deck work done? From what I’ve read so far , the only advantage polyester has is on price ( like 1/4 the cost ). Strength, water resistance, durability … all of these suggest epoxy over polyester. I don’t mind spending a few hundred more on epoxy. One of the areas is under the bow cleat. That is one spot you want it to be really full proof .

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
How big are the areas you need to re-core? A friend of mine re-cored areas of his deck and instead of compromising the outside he cut away the underside of the deck inside the boat. It would be a little more work removing the interior head liner, and a bit more difficult working overhead, but the result was that you could not tell by looking at the boat that the work had been done. The repair work would be hidden by the head liner so would not require as much finishing. And gelcoat.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Not quite Senior Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #300 ·
How big are the areas you need to re-core? A friend of mine re-cored areas of his deck and instead of compromising the outside he cut away the underside of the deck inside the boat. It would be a little more work removing the interior head liner, and a bit more difficult working overhead, but the result was that you could not tell by looking at the boat that the work had been done. The repair work would be hidden by the head liner so would not require as much finishing. And gelcoat.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
Brilliant , that’s exactly what I’m thinking. But I’ve not come across many who have done it. Would it be possible to get some pics ( what did he do to eliminate the cracks in the top gel coat) . Also , could you find out if he used polyester or epoxy . In my case it’s about an 8ft square surface, mostly from the bow on the starboard side past the first cleat. I’m not sure how close to the rubrail.

281 - 300 of 300 Posts