SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the other Jeanneau thread, but then realized that many of you, like me, were ignoring that thread. This is some good news about Jeanneau.

Had the opportunity to sail a 379 yesterday. Good wind, averaging 20 kts with some higher gusts. She sailed like she was on rails with little tension on the rudders. It needed to be reefed @ 15 kts true ( which we found out about after having everything up for a while). With the RF main reefed, and the 135% headsail, she settled down very well. The boat like to sail flat, but we put the rails down a couple of times to see what she would do.

We saw average speeds for 4 hours above 7 kts., with a few plus 8 up wind and + 9 downwind with following seas about 4'. I was really surprised, and impressed, with how she sailed downwind. I thought that the relatively light boat, with flatter bottom, and smaller dual rudders would be somewhat squirrely. This boat proved me wrong, she was a sled going downhill. She also went to weather well, and did see high 7's to low 8's at about 30-35% off true wind.

I did find the boat to be harder to sail single handed, but with 2-3 she was a lot of fun. She is a great little coastal cruiser....just what she was designed for. Did I say fast!!!!!

If you get a chance to sail one take it. Take a friend with you.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
awesome!

my dad sailed a bunch of jeanneaus back in spain and would take us out and around them at the marinas...

he also had a beneatu first 29 back then too...I thought they were wonderful boats, Im sure they are now too...just different(which isnt bad)

peace

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
The Sunfast 37 has been at the top of our list for our next boat for some time, but the 379 caught my eye. We checked one out at the boat show, and we were a bit disappointed with it at the dock. It would be nice to get out and sail one, it sounds like it might still be a contender if the sailing qualities are good.

Although apparently it isn't a good boat to take to Antarctica so maybe not....:laugher

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
oh no!

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
So if you can not take it to Antarctica..... did not see anything wrong with going to the north pole area's........

I'd get an SF35 over a 37 if possible. But there are 7-9 SF37's in the salish sea area. Only two sf35's that I know of, maybe 4 or 5 in N America total......better chance of finding the SF37 somewhere. Also look at an SO39iP if possible, they have a phrf in the 80 range, vs 120 for the sf37, 105 for the 35. The 39iP is probably the best powered jeanneau to come out other than the 3200/3600's in a while.

Marty

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Yeah there was a SF35 on the market recently, but we are not ready to pull the trigger on a new boat yet. Haven't seen a 39iP, but I did like the 36iP that a local broker had. A bit out of our price range though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts