SailNet Community banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
most all the newer french boat have an exhaust fan. it brings fresh cooler air into the engine compartment and removes heat and fumes. engines run better on cool air. you want the air coming into the engine compartment from the dry cabin and not from the wet air around the outside of the boat

·
Registered
5,322 Posts
I have an engine compartment blower too, and always wondered why it's there. I've assumed it was one (or more) of three things, but I'd welcome some factual information on the true reason:

• Relieve heat buildup in the engine room if needed
  • A legacy ABYC requirement from the days when gas inboard motors were more popular
  • A safety contingency if someone accidentally pumps a small amount of gasoline into your diesel tank. You can blow the fumes out and burn it off in the motor. (DANGER: "Do not try this at home." I'm just speculating here.)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
This would be unusual. If you provide positive pressure to the engine compartment, all the odors or potential exhaust leaks will be forced out into the cabin. With an exhaust fan, air is still drawn into the engine compartment via the bilge, both for cooling and combustion.

p.s. Congrats on the new boat!
I suppose that makes sense. I will have to take a closer look at that when I take possession...should have keys in hand tomorrow!

Every year we have coast guard safety inspections of our boats, and every year they ask about engine compartment blower, and every year we point out it is diesel and a blower is not required. At least now I can just say "yes" and move on to the next item!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts