SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jeff.
Thanks very much for the advice over the last few day''s. I really appreciate it. I''ve learned alot since I discovered this site. I look forward to talking with you again. By the way, I''m from Toronto.
Talk with you soon.
Dan.

J

·
0 Posts
I currently sail (and have for sale) a Laser 28 but I am in the process of purchasing a Farr 38. I hope to close next week on the Farr 38.

Jeff

J

·
0 Posts
Actually re-reading your question, I am guessing that you are trying to get a handle on my point of view on boats as it pertains to the basis of my comments. For my own boats, currently I frankly tend to prefer higher performance cruising boats. These tend to be at the ''racier'' edge of what most people would call cruising boats. I love wooden and traditional yachts and I''ve actually owned a few. These days I don''t have the taht kind of time to spend on older boats But I spend a lot of time sailing on boats that represent a pretty wide range of styles and types of boats.

So, I guess the answer is that I have sail on a lot of boats. I personally have owned 10 boats not including the Farr 38 that I am buying. They are as varied as a 1939 Stadel Pilot Class Cutter or a 1949 lapstrake Folkboat, to my current Kevlar/vinylester Farr designed Laser 28. Between my Father, mother and brother, members of my family have owned a more than a dozen additional boats. I often go out and race or sail with people on their boats. So for example in the past year, I have been out on a Gaff rigged Herreschoff 12 1/2 (Doughdish), a 16 foot custom built wooden, lug ketch rigged sailing canoe, a JY15, a 23 foot Dias designed custom built wooden gaff rigged sloop, Cal 25, Catalina 27, Ross 930, Tartan 31, J-105''s, Beneteau 38s5, Farr 11.6, a Farr designed Beneteau 40.7 and a Brewer 12.8.

As a hobby and just to be helpful, I also help people who are looking to buy boats (I am not a broker). As a result I end up aboard a lot of boats. This year for example, for myself or on the request of others, I have been through a detailed ''first look'' at a Dehler 34, Pearson 35, Alberg 35, J-35, J-36, Express 37, Farr 38/11.6, Hunter 30,Tripp 38, Tripp 41, Custom Farr 40 (not the one design). I had surgery this spring so it has not been a particularly active sailing year for me.

At different times in my life, I have also worked as a yacht designer or in boat yards. This has given me a lot of detailed exposure (more than I prefer to have had sometimes) to the way that boats are built. I also used to do most of my own maintenance and so, being outgoing, I have also spent a lot of time helping other people make repairs to thier boats. This too has helped shape my opinions.

Is that what you were asking?
Regards
Jeff

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow,
what a great response to a short question !
i enjoy your answers to many questions.
they are very helpful to all who read them.

fyi i own a tartan 37 that i personally rebuilt from the hull up.
i replaced everything except the mast, boom, sinks , hatch frames ,and water heater.
all else is new and personally installed.
the only outside work was the paint job.

i sail offshore and am currently on long island getting ready to head south again.

did you seee the website of kimberlite?
and the video of us sailing in a gail?

fair winds
eric freedman wb2cwd
t-37 kimberlite

J

·
0 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. No, I think that I missed the website for Kimberlite. Its quite an experience rebuilding a boat. I rebuilt a Folkboat back in the 1970''s (sistered frames,keelbolts, rig, rudder, a piece of the stem, some planking, floor timbers, a new interior, and cockit) That was a small simple boat. I can only admire someone who would take on, and more significantly finish restoring a boat as large and complex as a Tartan 37. My hats off to you.

Respectfully
Jeff

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
jeff,
take a look at http://kimberlite1.homestead.com
there is a video of us going south last fall in 30 footers with just a storm jib out.
the slidesare of kimberlite in bermuda and some shots coming home fom st thomas via bermuda.
if you would like to see more e-mail me back channel and i will send you the link to the tartan 37 site where they have some shots of kimberlite being rebuilt

1 - 7 of 7 Posts