SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in these steel Wedco jerricans for gas, diesel and water storage but am concerned about rust. Anyone have any experience with these things as far as longevity?

·
Registered
3,146 Posts
They do not do well in continuous wet . marine environments - 4WD'ers use them because they are less susceptible to damage when say sliding into a tree or rock. They will rust at the slightest scratch into the enamel coating. I have one for my lifted Jeep...so some experience with them ;)

·
Registered
108 Posts
They do not do well in continuous wet . marine environments - 4WD'ers use them because they are less susceptible to damage when say sliding into a tree or rock. They will rust at the slightest scratch into the enamel coating. I have one for my lifted Jeep...so some experience with them ;)
I concur. The metal ones are heavy duty and solid but they will rust fast in a salty environment. I used those on our small boats in the Navy and we would have to replace them every so often because of rust.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Why are you considering using metal over plastic for your jerry cans? Just wondering.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'm interested in these steel Wedco jerricans for gas, diesel and water storage but am concerned about rust. Anyone have any experience with these things as far as longevity?
Lotech:

I went with the non-metallic Scepter cans made for military use:

They also make a range of accessories, fittings, spouts for these cans:

They are not however CARB compliant.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
I'd go with plastic jerry cans on a boat... not steel... unless you can afford custom stainless steel ones...and even then it's a wash... :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
ArtByJody:
You're right about 4WD'ers. I found a lot of good equipment reviews from this 4WD community before I decided on the Scepters.

Here is a good link to one such review: Expedition Portal

and a better picture of the MFC's

1 - 8 of 8 Posts