SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I have been following Web Chilles as he attempts his 6, 7'th? circumnavigation on board a moore 24.
He is using a jetboil stove for cooking, which uses butane/propane type disposable canisters. This got me thinking, how available would these type of canisters be in places like the south pacific and other "remote" locations?

I have no immediate plans for myself and understand that a single burner, jetboil type stove, is as minimal as it gets. With that said I use a similar type stove on my boat and find it to be very efficient fuel wise. If one could figure out a way to gimbal the stove and fuel was available it might be a solution for the 500$ a month cruiser types.

Alternatively does anyone know if the jetboil stove could be converted to accept a propane line? I googled and found nothing.

John

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I built a gimbal for my Jetboil, it works very well. I don't use it as my primary stove, but I do use it when boiling water to make coffee. It boils the 400ml that I use to make coffee about as quickly as I can grind the 20 grams of coffee beans.

This blog post talks about an adapter to more conventional butane canisters and other options:
Pedal! Damn it!: Jetboil Personal Cooking System: Remote Canister Stands and Adaptors

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alex

Good stuff thanks for that, the gimble looks great, I'll keep it in mind if/when I need it. The blog posting is excellent material.

John

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
Alex that is awesome! I want one on my Mac right now. Sell those things. Time for me to put my fab hat on and get to work. Great idea.

I have a bigger stove but for things like coffee/tea/soup while alone that would just be perfect.

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
I made that just using a drill, hacksaw, and files. The gimbal sections are made from slices of stainless pipe that I bought from a local metal retailer (Online Metals). I did have to braze together the "basket", but if you can find someone to do that for you the rest is very basic. Materials cost was around $10-$15, and that is because I screwed up one section of pipe by working with it on my lathe.

Someday soon I'll make a drawing and post that up on my blog.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts