SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to save money like most of us. I have a jib block on a car that is staring to deteriorate. The edges of the sheeve are looking a bit chipped. Instead of purchasing the car and block as a unit I thought of cutting the block off and using a block with a shackle. I might be able to get a spring around the shackle. If not is the spring required? I realize the block would just lay there, but is that a problem?

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Wonder if a piece of rigid vinyl/rubber tubing, split length wise, would support the block and act as the spring.

·
Registered
152 Posts
The spring just keeps the block from scraping on the deck. You could just use a piece of light line, perhaps fastened to the lower lifeline, to keep the block off the deck.

·
Old as Dirt!
3,482 Posts
I'm trying to save money like most of us. I have a jib block on a car that is staring to deteriorate. The edges of the sheeve are looking a bit chipped. Instead of purchasing the car and block as a unit I thought of cutting the block off and using a block with a shackle. I might be able to get a spring around the shackle. If not is the spring required? I realize the block would just lay there, but is that a problem?

Thanks for the input.
A photograph of the failing piece might be helpful. I'm wondering, though, why one could not simply replace the sheave, eh? Garhaurer, for example, offers a wide range of sheaves with matching pins quite inexpensively that might do the trick.

Reactions: Faster

·
19,489 Posts
Having the block flopping around will be annoying and may eventually damage the deck surface. But there are alternatives that have already been suggested that should work.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Drill two holes in a tennis ball. This works as long as a tennis ball isn't too big. If it is you can try another type of softish, hollow ball... maybe a squash ball, although UV might be a problem.

·
Sailor
923 Posts
The spring just keeps the block from marring the deck. We use an appropriate length bungee to do the trick. We hook it over the life line. That provides the flexibility needed to not stress things as the sheet jumps around in winds.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well all this helps quite a bit. I was not quite sure of the pupose of the spring. I have contemplated replacing the sheeve itself and may give it a try first.

Thanks everyone!!!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Drill two holes in a tennis ball. This works as long as a tennis ball isn't too big. If it is you can try another type of softish, hollow ball... maybe a squash ball, although UV might be a problem.
A tennis ball cut in half, with one hole could work.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I just replaced the sheave on a Z Spar turning block at the base of my mast. The trick is to drill the stainless rivet out without damaging the sleeve that the sheave rides on. I used a shoulder bolt and a thin nut to replace the rivet. I figured for they want for a new block it might be worth having a spare around so I ordered the sheave along with a new block.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts