1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK so the Jib is attached at three points.... then the front of the jib has "clips" to guide it up some sort of rigging. The Halyard goes to the top corner to raise it. The front bottom corner latches to a piece on the deck, and the other corner has a halyard to direct which side the jib will be on. Do the "Clips" on the front of the jib go on the forestay? or should there be a second rigging running off the front of the mast that is shorter and only goes mid mast? Or does it not matter if it is on the forestay?

·
Mermaid Hunter
5,674 Posts
OK so the Jib is attached at three points.... then the front of the jib has "clips" to guide it up some sort of rigging.
The clips are called hanks. They go on the forestay.

The Halyard goes to the top corner to raise it.
Correct. The top corner is called the head.

The front bottom corner latches to a piece on the deck,
Yes, that corner is called the tack. The "latch" is usually a shackle of some variety.

and the other corner has a halyard to direct which side the jib will be on.
That last corner is called the clew and has two lines (generally) that go down one on each side of the boat. Those lines are called sheets.

The vocabulary is medium important so people can help you.

The top corner is the head. The front bottom corner is the tack. The side of the sail between the two is the luff. The back bottom corner is the clew. The side between the clew and the tack is the foot. The side between the clew and the head is the leech.

Halyards haul sails up and let them down. Sheets adjust the sail.

The same terminology applies to your main sail and in fact any other sail.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,835 Posts
I suggest that you either find a friend that knows how to sail, or an instructor in your neighborhood, and take them for a sail with you. The savings from not damaging your or other boats will probably pay for the instructor. The tips that you get, making you a better sailor overall, will make this more than worth while.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree, my neighbor has a 26' hunter has been nice enough to come with us on our first outing this weekend. She has been sailing for 15 years. We also took 3 sailing classes this year. The terminology is coming slowly I feel confident we will get the hang of it! Thank you for all your help

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Is it ok to connect the jib to the forestay? or should it be connected mid mast?
Forestay!?? No way! Put the mane haulyard around the center hole in the tacklew and cleat it on a wench then crank it up as far as you can. Make sure the numbers on the sail are visible at night by holding a laser lite on them unless its a full moon or almost. The forestay is only for emergencies and helps hold the mask upright. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Forestay!?? No way! Put the mane haulyard around the center hole in the tacklew and cleat it on a wench then crank it up as far as you can. Make sure the numbers on the sail are visible at night by holding a laser lite on them unless its a full moon or almost. The forestay is only for emergencies and helps hold the mask upright. :D
Are you referring to the main sail? Cause my question was regarding the jib

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha but I looked at the images the guys posted on the first page of this thread and on the venture 21 there seems to be another shorter forestay going mid mast to the bow that the hanks for the jib attach to. But I don't have that shorter forestay. Will it cause issues being attached to the forestay?

·
Premium Member
5,928 Posts
If you don't have the smaller sail (probably a storm sail to be attached mid-mast?), don't worry about it for now. From the picture of your boat in your other thread, the jib you have seems to be attached correctly. You would only sail with one or the other anyway.

Another thing: not every boat, even of the same make is always rigged exactly alike. Original owners may choose different rig options, changes may be made over time. Use the pictures as guidelines. There may be a particular feature that your boat doesn't have.

·
Over Hill Sailing Club
3,688 Posts
Haha but I looked at the images the guys posted on the first page of this thread and on the venture 21 there seems to be another shorter forestay going mid mast to the bow that the hanks for the jib attach to. But I don't have that shorter forestay. Will it cause issues being attached to the forestay?
Sorry, it probably confused you that the graphic in my post was a Lightning rig. It is called a FRACTIONAL rig which is different from a MASTHEAD rig. In a fractional rig, the forestay does not go all the way to the top of the mast. In a masthead rig, the forestay and backstay both go to the top. In either case the jib IS attached to the stay, either hanked on Bainbridge International > Swedish Brass Piston Hanksor on a jib furling mechanism.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.