SailNet Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I started the day, the jib was fully furled on the roller furler, with several wraps of the jib sheets around it. We unfurled the jib and sailed briefly. Later when I furled the jib back on the roller furler, we reached the end of the furler line, but the jib still had about two feet of jib out.

I cut the knot off the end of the furler line at the spool and hand rolled the jib with several wraps of the jib sheets. I then reattached the furler line to the spool.

But what happened to my furler for it to no longer have enough wraps of the furler line on the spool, to fully roll the jib up, when it had enough wraps before?

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
most likely you furled the jib tighter then it was before you unfurled it. A tighter furl takes more turns

·
Registered
23,985 Posts
Agreed. Tighter furl. Too tight probably isn’t good for the sail either, but snug helps keep rain water out. A real goldilocks, just right, thing.

With the sail fully furled in, I like to see several remaining wraps on the drum.

·
Registered
5,034 Posts
Agree most likely a tighter furl, but going from wraps around the sail to 2 feet unfurled is a lot.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, thank you, Overbored, Minnewaska, and JimsCAL. That explanation makes sense. I thought it was a lot too. But it was the first unfurling after I first mounted the jib dockside after splashing, and there was no wind.

The incomplete furling occurred while sailing in some erratic stout winds, and it required a good bit of effort to get the sail furled, so I imagine it did furl considerably tighter.

·
Registered
598 Posts
when furling in very light conditions I find it helpful to keep tension on a jib sheet to get a tighter furl

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,235 Posts
when furling in very light conditions I find it helpful to keep tension on a jib sheet to get a tighter furl
Better to jsut say, when furling in any condition keep pressure on the jib sheet to ensure a tight furl. Lack of a tight furl can result in the sail being deployed by a strong wind and ending up destroyed. You see that event most everytime a Nor'easter blows though our area, the sails with loose furls become easy prey to the wind.

See

·
Registered
23,985 Posts
it was the first unfurling after I first mounted the jib dockside
Very common for a few wraps of the furler to come undone, over the winter. You can tie a piece of rigging tape around the furling line at the drum, at the right location, with the sail deployed (with sufficient excess to make a tight furl back in). Next year, you can insure it has enough wraps, by checking that mark, before hanking the sail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts