SailNet Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have only used our boat maybe 5 - 6 times since launching this year.
On Saturday I noticed that when the jib was unfurled, it looked like there was still a couple of turns wrapped around the foil at the top of the mast?

Is this an indication that my drum is moving independent to the foil?

I have always been very careful about unfurling the jib and do it slowly under tension. If i let it free wheel it goes too fast and I get a loop of line falling below the drum which a pain to fix when you need to haul in the jib.

Any thoughts and the fix?

Robert

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Let me think about this....
When I pull on the jib sheet to unfurl the sail, it winds the cord onto the drum.
The sail is full out at the bottom but when you look up the top 8ft still appears to have some wraps around the foil. Clearly this was not like this when I launched, so something must have moved.
When I pull the cord to furl the jib back up, it unwinds from the drum to wrap the jib. I'm pulling the cord all the way out but seems like its lost a couple of turns on the drum since I launched as the sail should be wrapped a little more.

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Right, So I think what you need are more wraps on the Drum. With the Sail furled, bring the sheets up to the furled sail, coil them and tie them around the sail, so they just hang there. Now loosen your furling line and turn the drum, the furled sail and the sheets as one unit and get about 4 wraps more on the drum. Then , bring the sheets back and you should see an improvement. You might have to make an adjustment, ( add a wrap, remove a wrap) until you're happy. I like about 3 wraps of the sheets around my furler when furled.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
There is something strange going on there. The entire headfoil should be rotating so the sail should have the same number of wraps from top to bottom. I can't picture how you could end up with the top of the sail still partially furled when the bottom is completely unfurled. I would definitely pull the sail down and check the swivel, and make sure the luff hasn't pulled out of the foil at the top.

Depending on the type of furler, it is also possible that one of the segments of the headfoil has detached from the rest and is rotating at a different rate.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Probably one or more of the foil sections is not rotating with the rest of the furler extrusion. If you are lucky the section has just lost the fasteners, popped out of the join and can be slipped back in and refastened. Worst case is the furler extrusion has stripped out internally after fastening screws stripped out. In any case it requires a trip up the mast to see what's going on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I plan to go to the boat this evening and make some notes. Hopefully the wind will be low enough that I can unfurl the sail in the slip.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry guys, all one big wild goose chase!!!
I went to marina tonight and it was calm and i was able to unfurl the jib while still in the dock. It would appear that the last 1/2 turn on the furler was not releasing until given a firm pull. I believe that in this condition the top section was still appearing to be wound on the foil but the bottom section was apparently fully out.
The good news is its plain old user error,...
Its cheaper that way,

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Hey,

My furler (Furlex 200S) is very dependent on halyard tension. Too much and the top swivel binds up. not enough and I can get halyard wrap. Maybe something for you to check?

Barry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts