SailNet Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
243 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The shackle that is spliced onto (no bowline) my jib halyard is not big enough to attach to the head of my new jib. The grommet is placed too far from the edge of the material and the edge of the sail up there is thick and reinforced. The shackle just can't get around it.

Is there anything wrong with putting a metal carbiner, D-ring or something like that on the head of the jib, and attach the shackle to that? The shackle is big enough for all my other headsails.

· Registered
243 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think I can tie a bowline because the shackle is spliced on the end of my halyard and the shackle won't fit thru the grommet....

Good advice about carbiners spontaneously attaching to stays and lines. I got one that you secure closed with a screwing mechanism.

I'll have to look into soft shackles, not familiar with that.

But assuming I can get a metal attachment, ring, or carbiner that will not catch onto things its not supposed to, is there a downside to attaching a shackle to another metal part?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.