SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Question from a novice sailor with two hanked on jibs:

A few times now I have had to switch from #1 to # 3 head sails while out on the lake.
Thus far, I have been tying the jib sheets directly to the clew. Works fine, but I am looking for an easier system (not a fuller).
Any suggestions on a type of line, knot or system that would allow me to easily attach sheets to either sail and easily switch sails.

Thanks.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I have a 2 foot long tail permanently attached to the clew of each headsail with an estar hitch (modified buntline hitch). The jibsheet is one continuous line, with the clew-tail tied to the midpoint of the jibsheet with a double sheet bend.

This allows quick sail changes, and no shackle hardware to take out a tooth.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I have a 2 foot long tail permanently attached to the clew of each headsail with an estar hitch (modified buntline hitch). The jibsheet is one continuous line, with the clew-tail tied to the midpoint of the jibsheet with a double sheet bend.

That seems to be a good idea.. thanks. I've always just used a cow hitch in the middle of my sheet (thread the midpoint loop through the clew, then both ends through that loop). However, this means having to take the lines completely in and re-run them when switching headsails. I'm going to try your tail method.

Barry

·
Registered
4,594 Posts

have a pic of this please?:)

·
no longer reading SailNet
2,309 Posts
it takes 3 seconds to tie a bowline....what could be easier?
I agree. I use soft shackles on my boat and prefer them a little bit to a bowline because they are more compact. However we use bowlines on both boats that I race on and I they are pretty fast to change over (maybe 5-10 seconds per bowline when you make a compact knot).

·
Registered
275 Posts
have a pic of this please?:)
Start with a 30 +/- inch rope for the tail at each jib's clew.

Attach to the clew with an estar hitch, making each jib's permanently attached tail. A bowline would probably do as well as the estar hitch.

Attach the tail to the continuous sheet at its midpoint with a double sheet bend. The double sheet bend is quick and easy to untie and retie if making a sail change. It has never slipped on me (a single sheet bend might). The sheets stay fed through the track cars when making a change, and there's no shackle flying about looking for a tooth to hit.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
thanks man thats awesome...I dont feel like cutting my new jib sheet just yet till I test out the foresails I have and what works well...for now

like they say PIC IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS

thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts