SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's my bimonthly stupid sailing question
On a few boats I've owned(small ones it's true) and on my recent boat (a full keel Danica 16) there been a funny thing on the clew/lower leech of the sail
On my Danica it's a small string coming from a bit above the clew, down through an enclosed V/jam cleat, the whole unit is covered by a velcroed flap of dacron.....I've seem similiar units on othe jibs
What the %@^@^# is it???
Thanks

·
Remember you're a womble
2,328 Posts
If it's fluttering along the leech (the jib I mean) despite being properly trimmed, you can tighten it to stop it fluttering. As with most sheets, let it out until it just starts to flutter, then snug it up a touch.

·
Registered
21,650 Posts
Depending on the size and load on the sail, tightening the leach line while underway can be a real pain. If you often have a loose leach, I would try to tighten it up in calm conditions or at the dock first. When you get it right, I don't find you need to adjust it much.

Further, when the jib is deployed, the leach line is going to be on the leeward side of the boat and possbily hanging over the water. Not a fun time to reach for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts