SailNet Community banner

When traveling (new place, port, of just anchorage) which are you more interested i

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
bell ringer
5,023 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like just sailing on a nice day. But when I'm going somewhere I like the sail if nice for a while, but am more interested in the destination and the events I have planned once I get there.

Which are you most interested in, the journey or the destination?

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Since most people are more interested in the destination, there are more power boaters than sail boaters

Of course, we all know they are wrong;)

That said, I'm a closet 2 boat owner, and one of them doesn't have sails (don't tell anybody):D

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
The journey is the best part if I wanted to just get there I would own a power boat

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Well,

I enjoy both. MOST of the time I just daysail - so it's all about the journey as there isn't really a destination (maybe we plan on anchoring and swimming, or stopping for lunch, or doing a casual regatta). Other times (only a few times a year) we actually go somewhere for the night or two. Those times I do care about the destination, but it's really just an excuse to use the boat more.

Barry

·
19,488 Posts
While, to me, "the journey is the point; the destination a bonus", I certainly look forward to seeing new places too.

Dropping the hook in a good anchorage is a mighty nice way to cap off a good day's sailing... so I wish there was a third 'equally' option to the poll.

Reactions: jrd22

·
Wandering Aimlessly
22,037 Posts
Without a destination, there is no journey. Both have pluses and minuses, so why worry about which you "enjoy" more, just enjoy.

Reactions: jrd22 and socal c25

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Can't have one without the other. In fact, I don't really separate the two. They're both part of the same thing.

·
Sailor
C & C 25
247 Posts
I usually sail to nowhere so there is always a journey and usually never a destination. When I do sail to a specific destination it is only a small part of the journey.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
These days I always say I'm going toward a destination never to a destination. Sometimes you change direction and destinations for various reasons. Weather, currents, mechanical troubles etc. The times I got into trouble in my younger days where when I said I "gotta get to". Now I go with the flow and am not afraid to make changes to my original plan if I need to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Some people desire no destination. I've always been that way so I always sail, row or motor the coastline or walk the deserts and mountains until I can see the end of my rations. In fact IF you have a destination you are not really 'free'. In my case the object is to go the longest time between replenishings which can be accomplished by eating as much from the sea and coast as possible. Traps, hooks, rifle & shotgun and the means to process and preserve the catch replaces the destination. It's a letdown when the realization is, that one must return to port. Daysailing is merely a taste and a waste of time.

If you want to do it my way use an aero map of 500 miles of coast and leave the charts behind. I can assure you that your involvement will double :)

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Without a destination, there is no journey. Both have pluses and minuses, so why worry about which you "enjoy" more, just enjoy.
Enjoy BOTH..... going someplace and the journey there are the complete package

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
My favorite is dinner/drinks on the boat after the cruise/daysail/whatever.

That's where the sea stories really come out, we've had a great sail that day and are at (at least tonight's) destination, an I'm a bit achy from a good workout.

So all 4: the journey, the destination, the comraderie, and the workout.

(And the view doesn't suck.)

Regards,
Brad

Reactions: BarryL

·
Swab
825 Posts
I do not like day sailing. I like going places.

Except for testing new equipment or training/practice sessions, taking the boat out to sail back and forth in the bay, then returning to the same mooring afterwards, seems a waste of time and effort to me. I want to set a course for someplace new, or an old favorite harbor a few days (Or weeks) away.

Three or four weeks at sea or a summer of island hopping to a new harbor every night is what I look forward to and it has been far too long. (Four months now since the latest voyage and at least four more until we can set off again)

Its the journey.:cool:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts