SailNet Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been away for a bit - busy with work, etc., etc. but with A-S "temporarily off-line" I thought I'd ask this question here:

A boat we're looking at upgrading into is rigged with the old-style(?) jumper-strut set-up:

Sky Line Technology Public utility Mast

Stuff I've read is neither good nor bad - so, has anyone here got any experience this system?

Apart from requiring a haul up the mast to tweak (and exactly how do you 'tweak' it?), is there anything particularly wrong with this setup?? :confused:

Thanks,

·
Registered
547 Posts
Hi Hartley18. Long time no hear. Does this mean you will be changing your Sailnet name?

Sorry can't help with your question, apart that is looks more complicated than a normal rig and not being able to adjust from the deck would be a pain. What sort of boat are you looking at?

Ilenart

·
ASA and PSIA Instructor
4,308 Posts
My suspicion is the jumper struts don't matter much, nor need much tune if any, especially if you don't lay on the backstay adjuster.

R19s were designed with jumper struts but most racing boats have removed them striving to reduce weight and windage aloft.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Hartley18. Long time no hear. Does this mean you will be changing your Sailnet name?
Hi Ilenart! :)

I'm spending most of my (limited) time at Anything-Sailing nowadays - but we'll be keeping the Hartley for now. I've spent way too much money on her lately, including a new #2 just recently!!

Sorry can't help with your question, apart that is looks more complicated than a normal rig and not being able to adjust from the deck would be a pain. What sort of boat are you looking at?
It's a Folkboat - and it's got everything I like: 26'-ish, wood, fractional rig..

More here: Something we're looking at.. - Anything Sailing Forums

Thanks both for your replies - I get the impression jumper struts are not something I need overly worry about.

If A-S goes down again - I'll be back! ;)

Cheers,

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,088 Posts
I had a 1949 wooden folkboat with jumper struts. They were important for controling headstay tension, masthead sag in a breeze. In effect they transfer the aftward force of the backstay to the forestay and eliminate the need for swept back spreaders or for running backstays on early fractional riggers. The are mostly out of the way except that jumper shrouds can hit the leech of the chute when close reaching.

I found that they were pretty much a set them once and leave them affair. You typically wanted just enough tension that the mast was straight vertically and side to side with minimal backstay tension. They bascally proportionately self tension as backstay tension increases.

Jeff

·
Super Fuzzy Moderator
17,136 Posts
My first keeler was a Bluebird, 22'er 7/8ths fractional similar to the Folkboat with the jumpers. I certainly never found the need to adjust them and yep as Jeff says they rid you of the need for runners.

They are not something that you'd need to worry yourself about.

I had a 1949 wooden folkboat with jumper struts. They were important for controling headstay tension, masthead sag in a breeze. In effect they transfer the aftward force of the backstay to the forestay and eliminate the need for swept back spreaders or for running backstays on early fractional riggers. The are mostly out of the way except that jumper shrouds can hit the leech of the chute when close reaching.

I found that they were pretty much a set them once and leave them affair. You typically wanted just enough tension that the mast was straight vertically and side to side with minimal backstay tension. They bascally proportionately self tension as backstay tension increases.

Jeff

·
Registered
695 Posts
I had a 26 foot fractional rigged boat, a Niagara 26 that originaly had swept back spreads, about 25 degrees. I could not get proper tension on the forestay unless the uppers were extremely tight all the time. I modified the rig so that the spreaders were only swept back about 5 degrees and installed jumper struts. Best move I ever made with that boat.

The jumper struts really stiffened up the top section of the mast so that the back stay adjustment worked much like a mast head rig when it came to tensioning the forestay and when it was eased for down wind the forestay was slack.

I raced and it made a huge improvement. Struts are not common any more but I liked them.

Gary

1 - 8 of 8 Posts