SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wasn't what I was looking for, not even on my short list of potential boats.

But Saturday afternoon saw it newly listed, called early on Sunday and was there within 10 minutes of when the owner was first able to show it. $1000 later and "we" are the owner of our first boat together. The we being my fiance and I, as it is our first "big" purchase together. Out wedding in 2 weeks has been interfering with boat shopping and we may still have enough to get a bigger boat when it is all done.

We now have a 14' West Wight Potter for our local lakes and weekends to other locations, a true trailersailor. Its mostly all there and ready to sail. It will need some work to get it up to shape but I can't imagine spending more than $1000 more to get it in great shape. It may be a hole in the water surrounded by fiberglass but it is a very small hole.

I haven't even had much time to look it over but I will hopefully be getting a day off in the middle of the week to assess my upcoming project. Will post some pictures.

·
Mud Hen #69, Mad Hatter
415 Posts
Wasn't what I was looking for, not even on my short list of potential boats.
I believe the phrase is: "You was smote!"

Good luck with her. Cute little boats. Folks have done some serious cruising on them.

Google up "Larry Brown, Potter Sailboat". He cross-countried his W.W. Potter, which had a cockpit enclosure, as a camper & cruiser. Has some good upgrade suggestions.

They are a prime example of the "cork" philosophy of surviving harsh weather. So light it just bobs through it all if you get in and close up.

Won't break any speed records, but easy to trailer and they can sail anywhere.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
S2 7.9 Bear Lake, UT
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Charley,
I know Larry Brown well, literally. He was my English teacher, my senior year, about 24 years ago, "gulp". He was quite the character, I still remember some of his stories and the books and lessons he taught me.

One day just short of finals, he announced to the class, I have just had my first book published, it was "Sailing on a Microbudget". Since I had never really sailed at that time I just laughed it off. Years later though when I was bitten by the bug and went to the local library to learn what I can about sailing, I found his book and checked it out. Years later when I was looking for my own boat i bought his latest book. Then just recently i got a copy of Small Craft Advisor and saw he was the editor.

I remember seeing his boat parked in someones garage at schoool. I guess I have come full circle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts