SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, the galley sink. Came across an offhand suggestion in a book - can't remember which - complaining about the usual boat sinks and how he should just convert the whole countertop into a sink. I thought, "what a brilliant idea!" So I did it. It is, indeed, a brilliant idea. I've now been using it for the past eight years and never regretted tossing out the old piece o' crap (couldn't even fit a plate into it - you know what I'm talking about).

It's a custom design I put together made from corian, with a 4 foot breadth and 3" fiddles. Most of the dishes fit into custom made cabinetry, as you can see, so it all drip dries, and is safe in any weather. Made by yours truly, so if I can do it, so can you. Only thing I'd do differently is installing another drain on the other side, so it drains regardless of tack.

If you've been wondering how to refurb your galley, I highly recommend this option.
Property Wood Table Building Automotive design

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,795 Posts
Interesting idea but I find it impractical.... as I imagine having my counters wet and maybe slippery from soap. I am not sure I understand the advantage. Why not do corian w/ high fiddles all around,,, pitched to an larger area which is deep and more like an actual sink? While most galley sinks may be small (too small?)... I find one has to approach dish cleaning differently. Do one dish at a time... maybe have several plates etc in the sink pre-washing why the rinse water.
Actually what you have is no sink... no depth... just a large surface area which drains.
There is simply no need for a sink area that large. YES a counter that drains with fiddles is a great idea. Glad it works for you... but something that makes no sense for me,

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
looks good to me! I'm assuming that you use the white tub that's stored upright for when you need depth.
A cutting board could fit inside for prep.

It also works as a nice fish filet table. Or filled with ice to hold fresh clams or oysters like a raw bar etc.

I see it as a multi function space. Nice!

·
Old soul
5,497 Posts
Looks lovely, and a great counter. Not sure if it's very good as a sink, especially while underway. But it would be great as a counter.

On our boat, we have two deep sinks, but we also have a heavy granite cover that sits over one of them. This expands our counter space. But you're right... you can never have enough counter space.

·
Registered
1978 Pacific Seacraft 25 Sloop
6 Posts
For me…. I’m not a fan of deep sinks or large tables on small sailboats.
in the 70’s, my boat is a ‘78, they loved the whole cruising capabilities presented with the advent and use of fiberglass.
Seems like So many designers had the thought of having the bedroom and kitchen be as close to “home” as they could. I don’t find these designs to be very ergonomic.
My experience is that a deep sink of water is only useful when in a slip or very protected harbor.
The splash effect is boring to deal with.
Also water is so precious at sea.
A plastic bin like you have is a perfect “catch-all” as you cook and produce utensils and plates and pots that need cleaning…rinse and empty water…down drain or overboard.
now with your mostly clean items you scrub a dub dub and lightly rinse off on your shallow sink.!
perfect
Most often, in prep, one needs to rinse off the knife or cutting surface..
yours suits that fine!
In my opinion, this is a better system for a sailboat.
Great application of a good thought.
👍👍

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,795 Posts
Again.. a good counter top but a bad sink... some of the functions mentioned above do make sense but not for most sailors... I make do without any problems with a very small sink and a small one... the very small is used to store cleaning things and it outs them right where they are needed...no need to hunt inside a cabinet. Our boat rarely has more than 7 aboard and mostly 2 and perhaps another couple, We don't need a big sink, nor a big stove. You don't stack used dishes...clean them one at a time. All our pots and pans can be washed in our sink. This is a practical working galley:
Wood Kitchen Gas Home appliance Machine

·
Old soul
5,497 Posts
We usually wash using a small cup or bowl placed in the bottom of our deep sinks. Since there are just two of us on board, we rarely create enough dirty dishes to justify even partially filling the sinks. But the sinks make the small bowl even better.

I don't mean to criticize the OP's innovation. I think it looks great, and would be an awesome counter. But it's still going to suck underway even if you're using the small bowl. The bowl is going to roll or slide around ... unless you can stick it down somehow. I can see this design making perfect sense while tied to a dock, but not while out there, or even bouncing around in a boisterous anchorage.

·
Registered
‘77 Pearson 10m
345 Posts
I like it. Very sharp looking, multifunctional (other than making a swimming pool to soak dishes) and the best thing is it’s super easy to clean. Nice to see not every galley has to look the same. Using a silicone placemat or shelf liner in the sink will prevent stuff from sliding around.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,795 Posts
We usually wash using a small cup or bowl placed in the bottom of our deep sinks. Since there are just two of us on board, we rarely create enough dirty dishes to justify even partially filling the sinks. But the sinks make the small bowl even better.

I don't mean to criticize the OP's innovation. I think it looks great, and would be an awesome counter. But it's still going to suck underway even if you're using the small bowl. The bowl is going to roll or slide around ... unless you can stick it down somehow. I can see this design making perfect sense while tied to a dock, but not while out there, or even bouncing around in a boisterous anchorage.
So cleaning needs water...(duh)... Where we cruise water is free and readily available. Our tank water is used exclusively for cleaning and bathing. We are not terribly frugal because it's easy peasy to top off the tanks. We do bring bottled water for cooking and drinking... That's a minor hassle.
I never fill the sink or fill it with used dishes. What a dumb idea!
Wipe the dish with a paper napkin (we use paper towels (select-a-sheet). Not much left to clean. Next I put some liquid dish soap on a dish brush or scrub pad... A little bit of water (foot pumped) or some hot water... quick scrub and then rinse and place in dish drying area above the cabinet.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Yes, the galley sink. Came across an offhand suggestion in a book - can't remember which - complaining about the usual boat sinks and how he should just convert the whole countertop into a sink. I thought, "what a brilliant idea!" So I did it. It is, indeed, a brilliant idea. I've now been using it for the past eight years and never regretted tossing out the old piece o' crap (couldn't even fit a plate into it - you know what I'm talking about).

It's a custom design I put together made from corian, with a 4 foot breadth and 3" fiddles. Most of the dishes fit into custom made cabinetry, as you can see, so it all drip dries, and is safe in any weather. Made by yours truly, so if I can do it, so can you. Only thing I'd do differently is installing another drain on the other side, so it drains regardless of tack.

If you've been wondering how to refurb your galley, I highly recommend this option.
View attachment 143475
Full marks for creativity and craftsmanship, however I am skeptical about the functionality of it. It seems like you are sacrificing a whole lot of countertop space. You can't really use that area as a prep surface...what happens if you want to give your hands a quick wash while prepping food?

Can we see a wider shot of your entire galley space?

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,695 Posts
We like what we're accustomed to using. I suspect the thinking behind the shallow sink is to wash dishes by using a wet sponge or washcloth with a dab of dish soap. Rinse with a small splash and air dry. Like SanderO, I would prefer higher fiddles. With non-stick pans, there's little need to let utensils soak. I very much like the fact that the sink also serves as food prep space.

·
Registered
Contest 36s
7,795 Posts
So what does this sink/galley arrangement do better than the more traditional ones?

I do like the idea that the counter surfaces would drain.

This might be good for filling with crushed ice and putting lots of fish etc on.... But why????

High fiddles have an advantage for retaining some items.

I consider this a design failure... that looks cool.

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
I suspect that he uses the Bus tub that's stored upright on the right side for washing dishes, a quick rinse and the dishrack drains right into the sink drain. It could also double as a buffet set up for self service meals. It's worked for him for 8 years, with only one regret ( a starboard drain).

·
Old soul
5,497 Posts
I suspect that he uses the Bus tub that's stored upright on the right side for washing dishes, a quick rinse and the dishrack drains right into the sink drain. It could also double as a buffet set up for self service meals. It's worked for him for 8 years, with only one regret ( a starboard drain).
You're probably right. Maybe the OP will come back to explain. Regardless, I think it looks nice, and if it works well for him/her, then great (y). For our cruising style, I can't see it being an advantage, but I definitely like the look of it, and the extra counter space is great.

·
Super Moderator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
10,427 Posts
I think it is a very interesting concept. Like others have noted, we all get used to what we have and so think that must be the one univerally always proper solution

Here we have a person who was creative enough to look at how they personnally use counter space and a sink and then invent a solution that works well for that pattern of use. In that regard, . I think this is a thought provoking concept and appreciate seeing it.

But as much as this tread is useful as an introduction to a different way of building a sink, what is also interesting about this thread what it tells us about each other basef on how we each have responded.

For example, for some of us, we can understand this as a creative solution to one person's tastes and cooking style and are able to applaud it as such.

For others of us, we have looked at that solution and creatively tried to understand the design concept, the functional drivers for this design, and perhaps looked at how we might adapt it in part or in total to our own cooking and cleaning style.

And then there is still another group of the 'if it ain't broke why mess with it school' who seem to lack the ability to creatively think beyond the world they are used to and so can't seem to fathom why someone would do this.

Jeff

·
Super Moderator
4,029 Posts
It seems like you are sacrificing a whole lot of countertop space. You can't really use that area as a prep surface...what happens if you want to give your hands a quick wash while prepping.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk
To me, it's a great prep space. Drop a decent sized cutting board in there, with a damp napkin or cloth under to keep it from sliding, and you can wash vegetables etc. and then slice and dice 'em

1 - 20 of 52 Posts