SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished our ASA 101 keelboat Class at the International Sailing School in Colchester, VT. I cannot say enough good things about this school and our instructor, Errrol!! We had a terrible sailing lesson experience last year, so I was very nervous, and Errol was very patient and very funny with me!

From his classroom instruction to the on-boat teaching, he was a great teacher. Robin, who owns the school, was very professional and the whole operation was top- notch! We ended up having a bit of wind - we had gusts of up to 18 knots or so! We learned to reef, come about, jibe, rescue man overboard and many other techniques. We sailed on a Soling and then the end of the second day on a 26 foot S2.

We have already planned our next certification class. We are now looking to crew some races or day trips for experience. They definitely created two new sailors!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds good. I've only had a couple of day lessons similar to yourself, it sure is addictive. Love the enthusiasm, it's motivating for me to finish my project boat!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it Nancey. It is good you are furthering your education and I think you will refine your needs for a boat by sailing on other people's boats.

I saw that you placed an advert in the crewing list. I can only speak of my experience but have found it to be a mixed bag and am leery of that approach. I think a person has to have the experience to evaluate the boat and skipper prior to signing on and even then you still can't be sure. What I have found that works and has a 100% success rate for me is to call around to the nearest yacht clubs enquiring about crewing for 'beer can' races and 'cruising in company'. I think the added layer of going through a Y.C. tends to give an added layer of safety. To get invited back I can't stress these 3 things enough: arrive early, leave late and always follow through on any commitment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, Scott, for that advice. I did that, also - I'm able to crew at the sailing school where we took lessons, and I called around to a few local clubs as well. My only worry is how to get from side to side on the boat when it's in an extreme heel!

And I'm an older adult who has taught for many years , so I appreciate the virtues you listed - be on time, be reliable. Very important qualities you mentioned - thank you!
Nancy

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,460 Posts
Hey Nancy,

I don't know where you are, but I suggest that you join some form of local sailing club. You will get to experience different skippers, different boats, and get out more often. Lessons are great, but you have to back it up with experience.

Reactions: Nancyleeny

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Nancy,

I don't know where you are, but I suggest that you join some form of local sailing club. You will get to experience different skippers, different boats, and get out more often. Lessons are great, but you have to back it up with experience.
Hi,I know we need experience - that's why we're trying to get more time on the water. We sent in an application to a sailing club. I don't know ifthey take people on their races, though. I know another club I can't afford to join does, and I contacted them, too.

Thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts