SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am faced with the question of holding on to my boat's trailer or selling it.

I found and purchased my 26' Northstar 600 while she sat on a custom built cradle trailer (ugly but solid). She's in the water now and I am pondering the merits of renting storage for the trailer or just selling it.

I can't use the trailer to launch and I've no intention of taking the boat anywhere she can't sail to.

The only thing I can think of is having it around for the occasional haul out services and "just in case."

Back in the frozen North I'd just park it in the back yard, but here in Tampa the Homeowners Association seems to frown on that.

Thoughts?

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,645 Posts
Back it into your yard. Take the wheels off, and tilt it up 90 degrees so the hitch end is in the sky.

Now it's a flagpole, fly a flag from it and watch the HOA have a canary. Flagpoles tend to be exempted from HOA regulations.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I would keep it. It will be hard to sell but if you ever decide to store your boat on land it will come in very handy. Make sure you put plenty of axle grease on all the bolts and movable parts to stave off corrosion.

·
Barquito
3,480 Posts
If the trailer is road worthy, maybe it is worth $1000. The question is: What costs more, storing the trailer (maybe not at a boat yard), or renting boat stands every time you need to pull the boat. Add to the mix the possibility of wanting to relocate the boat by land, and the resail value of having a trailerable boat.

·
Old enough to know better
4,342 Posts
The ability of getting the boat far from shore for hurricanes would be very appealing. I guess it depends on if it is your "forever" boat or just the current project. As it it is something you don't think you will keep long I would keep the trailer. She has some nice looking lines too, by the way. S&S sure knows what they are doing when it comes to putting a pen to paper!

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Having a trailer can enhance the resale value of your boat.
It greatly opens the distance of potential buyers when you can reduce the expense of getting the boat to the buyer's home.

Once you sell the trailer, finding another one for it, will be difficult.

·
Sea Sprite 23 #110 (20)
3,217 Posts
my Sea Sprite 23 has a trailer. While like you it is not easily launched from it.. being able to store the boat on it's own trailer and drag it home is priceless.

Unlike you, I am in NJ. I will be dragging my boat down i95 to florida next winter

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey, if you are going to sell the trailer let me know. This is my email, islanderbn2t at hotmail dot com or rtorres2411 at gmail dot com

1 - 12 of 12 Posts