SailNet Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

My kids just completed their first two week sailing camp and while they were doing that I took a two day course and received my ASA 101 certification.

I plan on getting the ASA 103 next summer when the kids do their thing again.

I am looking to learn more and eventually get my own boat.

I am in Central Alabama and, while not very near the coast, there are several large lakes nearby. I am also in the process of connecting with a local sailing club.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
islander bahama 24
1,842 Posts
Welcome aboard do you have a boat yet if yes go sailing as much as possible if not get one and go do the above with the kids

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard do you have a boat yet if yes go sailing as much as possible if not get one and go do the above with the kids
Thanks!

No boat yet. I am starting to check out what sailing is like locally and maybe take another class before I make any purchases.

I had thought about maybe a sunfish or sailfish nearer term and maybe then stepping up to a cruiser.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Kapeman,

Buy the boat and start sailing. Don't loose even a second of sailing time with your kids. If you have some knowledge and common sense, it's time to complete your Triple Crown and get some experience. Sailing isn't rocket science. Yes, there are the very skilled and knowledgeable folks out there that can make three knots when somebody breaks wind, but most just make the boat go. And that can be done with what you have. So, get the boat (I suggest a trailerable in the 20 foot range) and start making mistakes, um, I mean, getting some experience. One word of caution: know the rules. Too many idiots out there get a boat, know nothing and go blasting around on weekends. That's why most water fatalities occur on lakes during the weekends.

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,060 Posts
Welcome aboard Sailnet - this is a great place to learn about sailing, but there's no substitute for being in a sailboat on the water.

Have you checked into Dixie Sailing Club on Lake Martin? Good people there and a great way to spend time with other sailors and gain access to boats to crew on. I was a member a few decades ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts