SailNet Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
We were driving home from a sailing lesson and we came across a gorgeous S2 9.2a, 1980, beautiful condition. At $25,000, it is well above budget, but the price seems high anyway for the model and year. (Being sold through a broker.) Nice condition, though, some equipment, wind measuring equipment, no GPS. Sails in good shape, etc. actually, here is the link:

Bruce Hill Yacht Sales, Inc. (Shelburne, VT)

How is this boat for newer sailors? Does it handle well? Just for lakes on calm days or island cruising capability when we get more experienced?

We are torn between getting a boat to practice on and learn to sail fast, like a J22, and a cruiser-type boat. We went on a Pacific Seacraft sunset cruise the other night, and my husband fell in love! Can't afford a Seacraft, but he liked the mellow, laid back style of sailing. Me, I like to go fast!

Thanks for any insight ino the boat,
Nancy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Regarding the $25k asking price for the S2, 9.2:

I've been on two listed 9.2's (one aft cockpit, one center cockpit) in the last year. I've looked at many other 9.2 listings too. There is also one in the weeknight fleet in which I crew.

$25k in the Chicago area (Lake Michigan) for a 9.2 in good condition is just about right, maybe a little high, but by no means crazy.

·
Just A Member
32 Posts
I also own a 1977 Pearson 323. I don't think you can go wrong with the Pearson. Think what you could do with the extra cash? Have a party and invite some people from Sailnet. I am sure you could get a lot of ideas from us.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,638 Posts
Hi all,
We were driving home from a sailing lesson and we came across a gorgeous S2 9.2a, 1980, beautiful condition. At $25,000, it is well above budget, but the price seems high anyway for the model and year. (Being sold through a broker.) Nice condition, though, some equipment, wind measuring equipment, no GPS. Sails in good shape, etc. actually, here is the link:

Bruce Hill Yacht Sales, Inc. (Shelburne, VT)

How is this boat for newer sailors? Does it handle well? Just for lakes on calm days or island cruising capability when we get more experienced?

We are torn between getting a boat to practice on and learn to sail fast, like a J22, and a cruiser-type boat. We went on a Pacific Seacraft sunset cruise the other night, and my husband fell in love! Can't afford a Seacraft, but he liked the mellow, laid back style of sailing. Me, I like to go fast!

Thanks for any insight ino the boat,
Nancy
Nancy, just by your posts alone, it's pretty clear a smaller boat is not going to make you happy. I made that mistake years ago. I knew I wanted 30ft + but settled for a hunter 23 that I only kept a year. Now my O30 seems small.

Reactions: AlaskaMC

·
Frozen Member
565 Posts
I would second that Nancy. We bought a 25 last year and it was really the only option at the time. But what it really did show us was that we wanted a bigger boat for the kids on our Alaska waters.

Now on the other hand, with the incredibly low entrance price on a 25 we were able to clean her up, new sails, cushions etc and only put a small amount in. We got to KNOW we want more without breaking the bank. If we lose a bit in the end when upgrading that is life. So in hindsight, we could have gone straight to a larger boat and not regretted it. But what if you buy a big boat and find it isn't really your thing. Then you have a bit more skin in the game to deal with.

I totally just argued both sides of that didn't I. Internet advise, worth everything that one pays for it. ;)

·
Shanachie, Bristol 30
70 Posts
S2s generally command high prices because they were nicely built, high-quality boats. The guy who started the brand was a high-end powerboat builder before switching sides for a while.

Of course, with any used sailboat, the devil is in the details. What shape are the sails in? What electronics are on board? Has the cabin been updated? How old is the rigging? Is the engine on its last legs? Etc., etc., etc.

That Pearson could end up being a 20K boat by the time it is put into reasonable shape. Of course, the S2 could be a 40K boat, too, if it hasn't been maintained and updated. The purchase price is always just the beginning of a steady outflow of cash.

I think the S2 would be worth 25K only if it's turnkey, with all of the latest gear and in great condition.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts