SailNet Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just keep worrying about the fact that I did not test the coolant in my fresh water system. I bought the boat in the spring of2013 and winterized everything except I made the choice not to check the coolant/antifreeze. Now it has been anywhere from -15 to an average of about 20ish Fahrenheit here in MI. Just hoping I dont have any issues.

·
Master Mariner
9,225 Posts
I just keep worrying about the fact that I did not test the coolant in my fresh water system. I bought the boat in the spring of2013 and winterized everything except I made the choice not to check the coolant/antifreeze. Now it has been anywhere from -15 to an average of about 20ish Fahrenheit here in MI. Just hoping I dont have any issues.
Ah, I wish you luck, but that old Black Box Theory will out.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My first year winterizing and my first bigger boat. I just figured it had been in the same slip for 6 years and is should be good. It will be changed first thing. Tartan 30 with beta 30 with less than 200 hrs on it. Hope I'm good. What do I want to watch for?

·
Old soul
5,183 Posts
I was going to write, "don't worry about it," but now you've got me thinking ... Thanks a lot ... something else to worry about with this extreme cold :(.

In all likelihood you (and I ;)) will be fine. Even with a mix of 50:50 your antifreeze should be OK to about -35 Celsius (-32F). At 30:70 (water:antifreeze) you're down to about -50C (-60F). We've had a few nights colder than -35C, but despite my perception there have only been a few. Not sure what the temperatures have been way down south where you are, but I'm betting we've had it colder.

So, as long as the antifreeze is not too deteriorated, and there was a reasonable mix, you (and I :confused:) will likely be OK. At least that's my story that I'm now telling myself.

... again, thanks a lot :mad:.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
If you're really worried... is there any reason you couldn't keep a small block heater (like a sump oil heater) under the engine plugged in and running over winter?? All it needs to do is keep the chill off..

Besides, it would keep you toasty warm and allow you to get a few odd jobs attended to. :)

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Power outages.
Righto.. Still, even if the power goes out for a bit, perhaps the boat might stay warm enough to survive until the power comes back on?

(..or maybe not - I confess I've seen snow on a few occasions but really have no concept of life in any environment colder than zero. :eek:)

·
Registered
724 Posts
I bought my latest in the warm season of 2013 too. Among the notes of the very conscientious previous owner was one that said the coolant was checked recently. I chose to trust it and have worried a bit all winter. Hopefully spring will arrive soon so I can determine if I made a horrible mistake. Considering tonight might be the coldest night of the winter around here, I have my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
25,130 Posts
Righto.. Still, even if the power goes out for a bit, perhaps the boat might stay warm enough to survive until the power comes back on?

(..or maybe not - I confess I've seen snow on a few occasions but really have no concept of life in any environment colder than zero. :eek:)
If you store the boat in the water, the bottom of the hull isn't going to go down below freezing temps, so it will ironically retain more heat than when on the hard. Up on stands, the hull and interior will cool very quickly in cold windy conditions. Get below zero F and everything freezes quickly.

I've even just tried to close all the doors and warm the salon, with one of those Mr. Buddy propane heaters that you would expect would drive you out. It was a windy 20 degrees F outside and the best I could get the interior temp to was the upper 40s. An engine enclosure would be a smaller space, albeit you would use a smaller ceramic heater too, but I just wouldn't trust it,unless the boat was stored in the water.

Then, of course, there is the issue that most marinas I know will not let you remain plugged in with extension cords on the hard. Fire hazard I suppose.

·
Old soul
5,183 Posts
If you're really worried... is there any reason you couldn't keep a small block heater (like a sump oil heater) under the engine plugged in and running over winter?? All it needs to do is keep the chill off..
Can't get to my boat right now ... not without a backhoe to cut through the snow banks :D.

Like I said, despite the cold temperatures you folks down south will be fine. Even up here I'm not really worried. As I say, as long as your antifreeze is reasonably mixed and not too old & deteriorated, even the temperatures up here will be OK.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
cool, I figured I had the odds with me. We hit -14 the one morning and I think we have hit below 0*F like nine times. 11*F out right now. The boat has been in MI and Canada for decades now so I'm sure the mix (if any) is good. If anything the coolant is just old. thanks for the replies.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts