SailNet Community banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Old soul
5,824 Posts
Reaction score
I was going to write, "don't worry about it," but now you've got me thinking ... Thanks a lot ... something else to worry about with this extreme cold :(.

In all likelihood you (and I ;)) will be fine. Even with a mix of 50:50 your antifreeze should be OK to about -35 Celsius (-32F). At 30:70 (water:antifreeze) you're down to about -50C (-60F). We've had a few nights colder than -35C, but despite my perception there have only been a few. Not sure what the temperatures have been way down south where you are, but I'm betting we've had it colder.

So, as long as the antifreeze is not too deteriorated, and there was a reasonable mix, you (and I :confused:) will likely be OK. At least that's my story that I'm now telling myself.

... again, thanks a lot :mad:.

· Old soul
5,824 Posts
Reaction score
If you're really worried... is there any reason you couldn't keep a small block heater (like a sump oil heater) under the engine plugged in and running over winter?? All it needs to do is keep the chill off..
Can't get to my boat right now ... not without a backhoe to cut through the snow banks :D.

Like I said, despite the cold temperatures you folks down south will be fine. Even up here I'm not really worried. As I say, as long as your antifreeze is reasonably mixed and not too old & deteriorated, even the temperatures up here will be OK.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.