SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

We have a perplexing electrical issue that I cannot explain or solve. We bought a single serve Keurig coffee machine in November, took it to the boat and made coffee like it was supposed to. Last week while at the boat needing a cup of Joe, the Keurig would not boil the water. Brought it home, worked just fine. Took it back to the boat where it once again would not work. I tried everything: plugged it in to a different plug, tried tap water and bottled water. I checked the polarity of the plugs, the voltage (116AC) and plugged in everything from a micro wave to a vacuum and heater into the same plug... All work fine. Brought that rascal home tonight and it worked first time and eveytime for the past hour.

The Admiral is convinced it's the boat, I'm not at all, but at the same time, do not have an explanation. :confused: Ideas??? (First time it failed was trying to use it at sea on the inverter, then it would not even work on shore power).

Dave

·
Daniel - Norsea 27
1,258 Posts
I was thinking it could be a current draw issue but since you say the microwave and vacuum work, not sure if that is it, but it could still be. I have a 1.5gal shop vac that I used on a 1000W inverter on my truck (while the boat was on its trailer) and the shop vac would work fine. One day, I tried using a dremel and while it would power up, it wouldn't spin when trying to start it. Some how, it didn't pull enough current at first, so I would start the shop vac to get the load on the inverter, then start the dremel to get it up to speed.

Are you using an inverter or shore power? Maybe using something else to draw more current might trigger it to work.

·
Registered
25,123 Posts
Can we assume shore power, if you've tested a vacuum and heater in the same plug? If so, try to plug it in directly to the dock pedestal, if there are residential receptacles on it, or better yet, if you have pigtail adapters from the marine plugs. If that works, it's the boat. Do you have other plugs aboard that you could test it in?

If you hadn't mentioned testing other high load items, I would have assumed you are running it off an inverter, which can be very finicky with higher load items, like heating elements. If you are using and inverter, there is probably no solution, short of another inverter. It could be the sine wave vs. square wave thing that gives me a headache.

(as a total aside, I've never liked our Keurig at home. We make espresso every morning and keep the Keurig around for guests. This past week, we rented a place for the holidays, which only had a Keurig, so we went out and bought pods. First time I tried the Melitta brand pods and they were terrific!! We like strong coffee, obviously)

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
slip partner invented the Keurig. They have a model they sell to hotels/models. Smaller and I think less draw then even the mini. Good for the boat. I'm espresso addict like Minni ( grind beans, fancier grinder than machine etc.) Find you can grind fresh beans vacuum bag small amounts and keep frozen. Then make Turkish coffee on boat. Use one or two clicks finer then you use for home espresso. Find hard to make good espresso on stove top. Never get true 8 + bars with good extraction and crema.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I too use a Keurig on the boat. The only problem I have is trying to run too many high draw appliances at the same time. I can't run the Keurig and the microwave at the same time or will trip the breaker. Other than that the Keurig has worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is this shore power, inverter power, generator power, or ????
The first time it wouldn't work was at sea using the inverter. All other trys at the boat were at the dock plugged into shore power. I tried several other plug locations on the boat (have 6), all with the same results.

·
Registered
7,213 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion. Have one of those and find its hard to keep on the stove and hard to clean. Wife hates the French press for the same reason- hard to clean. Interesting comparison in Practical Sailor this month- a good read.

·
Registered
Corsair 24
4,594 Posts
buy one of these and forget the Keurig;

EXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACTLY, onlu use the stove, no huge draw.

italian stove top espresso maker, I used the bigger sized one.

however having been a barista in san fran I can say the quality of the crema and coffee is not the same, I compare it to a french press with a little more crema and robust flavor.

Like some posts back its the quality of the grind that makes the difference

go all the way turkish, ARMENIAN and the end result will be much much better

cheers

Reactions: outbound

·
Registered
58 Posts
Get a different coffee machine. We will not buy another Keurig. The first machine gave us varying amounts of coffee, even though we pushed to same button. We unplugged the machine when we went on vacation, and it did not work after we plugged it in when we returned. The company sent us a new machine but it has the same problem, varying cups of coffee.

Dot and John

·
Registered
153 Posts
I got this french press from REI for Christmas and love it. 48 oz, thermal stainless steel keeps your coffee hot for a couple hours, easy to clean, plus it actually floats... you know, just in case LOL! Some of those early mornings can get rough!

REI Table Top French Coffee Press - 48 fl. oz. - Free Shipping at REI.com

Their site shows photo not available but if you scroll down in the description it shows up as the first one... technology, huh. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the first thing you need to do before figuring out whats wrong with the keurig is figure out where to get your coffee in the mean time. Seriously, how can you be expected to fix the issue when you need to fix the thing that helps fix all the issues. Coffee!

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
I think they might have level sensors, and may not heat up unless totally level like electric heaters have. I think the coffee is awful out of them anyway and it is very expensive per cup. I would use a stove top method, like a pour over filter into a thermos or an Aeropress, takes up much less room, makes better coffee and saves money. Granted it is not push button easy, but will not likely leave you needing caffeine! Keurigs are huge too, not something I would want to be carting around. Now finding a good hand coffee grinder, that is a real chore.

·
██▓▓▒▒░&
13,641 Posts
Someone gave us a Keurig and I have very mixed feelings about it. If you use a refill capsule, that solves the cost problem. That's a non-issue. But the machine...it was playing games with me. Put in a cup of water, get back 3/4 cup of coffee. Put in 3/4 cup of water, get back an overflowing cup of coffee. Called Keurig, was told politely to RTFM and use a paper clip (shades of Apple!) for the secret to clean out any stray grounds from the nozzle, yada yada. Then too, you MUST follow the steps sequentially, you can't just put in the coffee and THEN put in the water.

Way simpler to me to use a small drip maker and leave the paper clips out of it. Nice machine, if you absolutely need a way to make single cups of coffee once in a while. But somehow I'm not surprised that it won't work on a boat, there's probably a special Marine Grade Galley Keurig you're supposed to buy for small craft.

Odds are the amperage draw is the problem, or if you're making your own AC, it is one of those "not-sine-wavy-enough" problems. Of course you can always call Keurig to ask them about it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If the water is too cold then the Keurig will not be able to boil it. So if you took bottled water from the fridge it will never complete the boiling cycle. Don't know if that's what you did but thought I should mention it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have a small boat so a coffee maker is too big for me, so I just use starbucks via coffee, it's the first time I can drink instant coffee, just boil some water and voila a nice cup of joe, either that or my french press :)

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,072 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts