SailNet Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
CAL 2-30, "Windswift"
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, new member here. I started my search for a new to me sailboat a year ago this month and now have her...got her officially February of 2013, a 1968 CAL 2-30.

The boat had been repainted recently and therefore the name on the boat abolished. The beauty of my CAL 2-30 is that it sits just a few slips away from another beautiful CAL 2-30 ( Sandpiper 2 ) owned by a dock neighbor anybody would be privileged to have. Two of these beauties (the boats) on the same dock, imagine that.

I occasionally labored for a name to honor my boat, enjoying this clean slate opportunity that lie before me. One afternoon, on the boat, my lady love discovered an original on board document I had missed, it was an original race registration document and identified the original owner as a "Karl Tunberg" with the original name of my CAL 2-30 identified as "Windswift".

My research, based on the documentation and communication with a nephew of a Karl Tunberg this year, indicates Karl Tunberg was the credited screenplay writer of the 1959 movie "Ben-Hur", in addition to countless other screenplay credits. I have yet to conclude that my boats original owner is the same Karl Tunberg but the research leans more toward yes rather than no.

In any case I sure do enjoy and appreciate this CAL 2-30!

·
19,489 Posts
Cool!... welcome!

Reactions: Windswift

·
sunfish?junior?
749 Posts
Welcome enjoy your new boat an the history you can find. I hope you will make some new history and fun yet to be created.:)
Best Wishes, Lou

·
Registered
770 Posts
Hey, Brian! Thanks for the kind words. You'll do well to hit SN'ers up for info. I like the name Windswift. See you at the dock!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The beauty of my CAL 2-30 is that it sits just a few slips away from another beautiful CAL 2-30 ( Sandpiper 2 ) owned by a dock neighbor anybody would be privileged to have. Two of these beauties (the boats) on the same dock, imagine that.
Great to have a new boat!!! Be careful you don't start a CAL 2-30 trend in your marina you will have to fight for available parts and such. JK:rolleyes:

Bill

·
CAL 2-30, "Windswift"
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey, Brian! Thanks for the kind words. You'll do well to hit SN'ers up for info. I like the name Windswift. See you at the dock!
Hi Ron, always good to see you at the dock. I'm planning a haul out in the next month ...any suggestions for my CAL 2-30 at that time? The main focus is replacing through hulls and valves. What size was your head through hull?

·
CAL 2-30, "Windswift"
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great to have a new boat!!! Be careful you don't start a CAL 2-30 trend in your marina you will have to fight for available parts and such. JK:rolleyes:

Bill
You got that right Bill. Gee, I'd even buy a second one...proof of my insanity.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts