SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
found a 1971 cornado 27 project..thinking of taking it on with my son then giving it to him but here is the thing.th

I have not gone inspect it yet but in the pics there seem to be some damage around the keel.

I cannot seem to get the pic uploaded (keeps failing) here a link I have made to the picture.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/14098847616/sizes/l/in/photostream/

any suggestions or thoughts would great thanks!

·
No more curry buffets
423 Posts
I am not an expert. My comments are based on what I can see in the photo.

The above having been said, it looks to me like the same old thing, a little movement where the keel joins the hull. Remember the kind of forces subjected on a keel by a boat that is going upwind. This causes subtle movement. Most famously perhaps is the Catalina smile, a similar symptom. The keel of this boat has remained attached for more than 40 years, so don't panic. Second, develop a plan. Unless you somehow have not got overwhelming corrosion starting at the keel bolts, this is not going to be too painful.

The first part of developing that plan is exploration. Look at those keel bolts. How badly are they rusting/rusted? Dig out the paint and filler near the crack and see what's up. You may end up as easy as re-torquing the keel bolts (Oh, so very carefully) and refilling/fairing the cracks.

To me this looks fairly minor, but I am ready to defer to the more learned aboard the forum.

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
you have a classic smile fracture aft of the keel most often caused by a forward impact the load the rear and pushes the keel aft...

it can also be caused by loose bolts and lastly way too much backstay tension, in effect crunching the boat upwards on both ends and pusshing the keel down if you will

causing cracks both in front and aft of the keel edges

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
There is a glut of nice, inexpensive boats out there, so be careful what you are getting yourself into. If it is a lot of work and little fun, your son may get a bad impression that owning a boat means doing a lot of hard work. While it is true sometimes, don't ask for it upfront.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts