SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to loosen and then tighten my keel nuts, but rust has done a number on them, and I haven't been able to get a good grip on them with standard socket tools. Does anyone have a suggested tool for getting a grip on them and then getting them off. It's a shallow bilge on a Santana 35, no more than 3 to 4 inches deep. The nuts that are still in good shape are 1.25" but the aft three are smaller than that now. Thanks.

·
19,485 Posts
Find yourself a 6 point socket (perhaps from an impact wrench set) Far less likely to slip than the standard 12 point. If the rust is such that the proper size won't fit, see if the next metric size will do it (again 6 point to minimize slipping) If the bolts extend past the nut you may need a deep socket, of course.

Use a flex bar rather than the ratchet to "break" them free. Replace the nuts with SS if that's appropriate to your keel bolt material, but take precautions against "galling" if its SS on SS.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
if they are rusted you might need to split them to get them off. get a drill, and a bunch of 1/8 inch drill bits. then drill down into the nut as close to the edge as you can with out slipping then drill another hole just inside the first. do this as many times as you can till you risk hitting the threads and stop. do it on both sides of the nut 180 degrees from the first side. then get a cold chisel and split the nut off. do this one nut at a time, and replace

·
Telstar 28
992 Posts
If they're corroded badly enough that getting them off is a problem, you probably want to take the keel off and inspect the rest of the bolts. Crevice corrosion is far worse than surface corrosion, and if the exposed parts of the bolts are corroded that badly, I hate to think what has happened to the parts you can't see.

How old is your boat, and when was the last time the bolts were inspected? If the answer is over 15 years and never... inspecting them is probably a really good idea. We all know what can happen if the keel falls off ala Cynthia Woods... and preventing that is a good idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.