SailNet Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Seacow
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would it be Safe to say if you have water above and around the keelbolts while on the hard and there is no water seeping from the keel to hull joint that the joint is water tight and in good condition thanks for any help on this matter.

·
19,488 Posts
Maybe.... is the boat normally in fresh or salt water? is the water in the bilge fresh or salt? Possible that it may leak under the increased hydrostatic pressure when afloat but not leak out now on the hard. Has it been on the hard a while?

more info!! What boat??

·
Seacow
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The boat is paceship py26 I know that it is rain water because when I had the boat haul home I cleaned out the bilge while doing the rest of the cleaning and it's back so I will have to find where it's coming from the keel to hull on the bottom looks fine I was just making sure I didn't miss any thing under the new bottom paint

·
69' Coronado 25
323 Posts
Deck to hull joint is usually the culprit, my hull / deck joint is glassed together BUT... the screws for the rub rail are plain steel screws and are now rusting off and it is letting water in when I wash it or it rains. Check your seams and hardware.

·
Seacow
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was going to either try to wait till a good rain or flood the deck with a hose then crawl through every spot I can fit to find where the water is getting in but the more I read about other people's keel problems I've become a little paranoid about mine since this is the first fin keel boat we have ever owned

·
19,488 Posts
Odds are you're OK and should concentrate on finding and fixing the deck/fitting/mast leak....

·
Registered
364 Posts
Two things to say. I add some antifreeze in the bilge incase nature adds some water before freeze up.
Some of the Canadian designed boats have a void in the front of the keel, close to the hull. For some reason it can fill with water, and under different (less) atmospheric pressure, relieve itself into the bilge.
With a small drain into the void, I get a cup or more after haul out.

·
Bombay Explorer 44
3,619 Posts
Would it be Safe to say if you have water above and around the keelbolts while on the hard and there is no water seeping from the keel to hull joint that the joint is water tight and in good condition thanks for any help on this matter.
Nope.

On the hard the joint is in compression.

In the water it is in tension.

·
Registered
7 Posts
You may want to check The Paceship Website Homepage forum. I'm prevented from giving their adress. They have over a thousand members with PY23 and PY26. Surely one or more of them can help you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts