SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent seen this boat in person but have a picture of the swing keel...the cable is off of the keel and needs to be replaced, but not sure of the keel in this picture....can you guys look at the picture and let me know what you can from the picture..I understand its just a picture

·
Freedom isn't free
3,133 Posts
Or you could ask over at the Catalina 25 association...
Catalina - Capri - 25s International Association
Catalina 25s are a dime a dozen (lots around)... Great boats. But doing the repairs on the keel are no small undertaking.

I personally don't see anything remarkable about the keel in the picture except that it could use a blasting, fairing, and barrier coat. Question is do you have the means to lift the 2600lb boat from the 1900lb keel to do a proper repair.

·
One of None
Hunter 34
8,625 Posts
without a cattle chute, (guide boards for the keel) it will be hit and miss to retrieve the boat on a ramp. The keel is iron (I think) and very heavy.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I owned an 81 C25 swing keel for 4 years and did a lot of work on the keel - replacing the cable is no biggie - and yes it is made of cast iron.

+1 to SNHOOL - the C25 class assoc forum is very active with an awesome group of owners past and present. Tap into them and you will get a flood of information.

Association Forum

·
Freedom isn't free
3,133 Posts
Sorry truth in advertising, I am not only a poster here, I am also a poster there... ;) I don't own a Catalina 25, I own a Catalina Capri 25... hehehe (an not much longer either). Great bunch of folks many who have done the work you describe. Nothing wrong with sailnut, just trying to get you a more focused answer... someone there also might be able to give you a clue as to how hard it'd be to drop that keel and clean it up (or if they think its not necessary)... but is free to use the mindshare there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.