SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coast Guard rescues 4 abandoning ship 172 miles off N.C.

December 12th, 2008

WILMINGTON, N.C. - A Coast Guard helicopter rescue crew from Air Station Elizabeth City, N.C., hoisted four people from a sailing vessel, 172 miles east of Wilmington, Friday.
Coast Guard Sector North Carolina received notification at 9:15 a.m. that the 50-foot sailboat Kekoa was coming apart and taking on water.
A Coast Guard HC-130 Hercules aircraft rescue crew from Air Station Elizabeth City arrived on scene at 10:53 a.m. to provide aerial coverage for the four survivors in 20-25 foot seas until an MH-60 Jayhawk helicopter rescue crew arrived.
The helicopter rescue crew hoisted all four people from their life raft and transported them to New Hanover Regional Medical Center in Wilmington. All four people are listed in good condition.
All survivors were wearing personal flotation devices, activated their Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon and used a satellite phone and VHF radio.
The Coast Guard issued a Marine Safety Information Broadcast to inform other boaters of the vessel adrift.

Glad all are safe. Why do people sail in the N. Atlantic at this time of year?
BTW...it appears as if this was a delivery crew. Frontal winds of 50kts and lightning swept off the NC coast late Thursday nite.

·
Aeolus II
670 Posts
This is why the USCG is my favorite Govt Agency

The USCG is one of thos always there when you need them agencies. They will go out and do whatever it takes to save lives. If only the rest of the US Govt were as reliable!

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
I wonder what "coming apart" means.

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
If it is a lead mine....it's probably on the bottom now. ;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Was she a cat? Having been a delievery capt. for a
number of years it always troubles me to see this
happen. I got out before I did something stupid, like
move a boat under timelines at the wrong time of year.

Bob

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
Was she a home-built catamaran? I don't see a builder listed. Some of those home-built boats are very, very, very scary.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The vessel was a US Coast Guard certified passenger vessel, whose construction plans were recently recertified and approved by the Coast Gaurd. The vessel was built by experienced professionals who have built multiple sister ships. It is too early to determine what occurred to cause this failure. I personally have confidence in these builders and will wait for the facts until I question the engineering of the vessel.
Today I am thankful that all parties were safe.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Glad everyone got home safe.

When this happens, I guess there's no chance of bringing her up off the bottom, right? Seems a real waste of a boat. And even if she's broken up, her hulls tell a story and her rigging is going to waste.

Does anyone ever go out with sonar and some grappling hooks and try to bring her up?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
When this happens, I guess there's no chance of bringing her up off the bottom, right? quote]

By now she's probably spread across 3 square miles of the bottom.

·
Registered
451 Posts
One good thing about multihulls there are usually some bits left floating to hang onto. (And sometimes a hatch on the bottom incase your upside down)

·
Telstar 28
1,000 Posts
From this article, it doesn't really appear that she is breaking up or in any real danger of sinking. Wasn't dismasted either... just taking on water. I am wondering how badly she was taking on water, and whether abandoning her was really necessary.

Of course, the people who abandoned her were a professional delivery crew, and it wasn't their boat, and they had little reason not to abandon her... but still...

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Well if she comes ashore in one piece then your question will be answered.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
So what is the reward if you go out and get her, and bring her back?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts