SailNet Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Folks,

I've found for sale a "Kenner Kittiwake 24", with trailer and outboard motor, at what seems like a reasonable price: https://maine.craigslist.org/boa/5765980092.html

I tried looking up more information about that design, since the owner/poster didn't provide a lot of details, but Google only ever finds info on a Kittiwake 23.

Since I don't know much about boats (yet), maybe more knowledgable folks can help me out here: Are these the same designs? (I see from Sailboatdata that the K23's LOA is 23.58 feet, but it also says the K23 wasn't commenced until 1972, while the listed boat is 1969.) Does anyone with experience on such a boat have any insights to offer as to its general quality/performance/enjoyment fact? What would be the thoughts on such a boat as a daysailer / weekender with a couple of short overnight trips each year?

- Walker

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,453 Posts
The Kenner Kittiwake was an adaptation of the South Coast 23, a Carl Alberg design from the mid-1960's. Sailboat data has a good write up on this KITTIWAKE 23 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com.

The biggest difference between the Kenner Kittiwake and the South Coast was that the Kittiwake had a doghouse (a raised portion of the cabin top) added and a miniaturized interior plan that was meant to sleep 4, but 4 very small people. It looked great in pictures, until you saw it in real life. Things like a miniature galley sink only work for miniature pots and pans making dinner for people with miniature appetites.

But cramped accommodations aside, these were nice boats for their day. I normally recommend something more responsive for a first boat, but the Kittiwake should seem familiar if you have been sailing Ensigns. I thought that the Kittiwake seemed to handle light air, and handle a chop slightly better than the Ensign, but those are many decades old recollections and may not be accurate.

My sense is that the first Kittiwakes appeared around 1969 or so, around the time that I moved to Florida, I saw one in New York. I don't recall hearing the Kenner name associated with the name Kittiwake until slightly later which may be the 1972 reference you are seeing.

Jeff

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello Jeff, I know his is a old post but I have a 67 Kenner Kittiwake 23. It's very hard to find current information on them, but you are correct in all you have said about them. It's a very solid well built boat. I have no problems with the stays or rigging. I have given this one hull # 81 a nice clean up, new Pettit barrier coating, and Vivid Antifouling paint. She looks great. All the cabin trim was refinished with Silkens Cetol as well as for rails and hand rails. Apparently some of these boats had a kit interior, the buyer finished it themselves, so there is some different interpretation on how this was done. I buffed out the hull, rewired the mast and new electrical sea dog panel installed. Repainted the non skid, replaced the lines and ready to raise the mast for a spring 2021. launch. I just wanted to let you know there is some of these well made Classics being used and cared for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts