SailNet Community banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The msds for Interlux 333 indicates that it is comprised of 75-100% kerosene, and up to 25% naptha. Instead of paying $52/gal at a marine store for Interlux 333, 1 gal of kerosene fuel at a big box home hardware store (not Home Depot, fyi) costs only $11/gal. Has anyone used kerosene fuel to thin polyurethane brightsides (not the enamel). I'm painting the cove stripe and the weather is turning hot on the Chesapeake; Interulx recommends thinning with 333 in warm weather. Thanks! Bruce

· Registered
11 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the responses - I didn't expect such a quick reaction. Interestingly, Interlux technical support recommended that I clean the brushes with either Interlux 333 or xylene. I used xylene. Also, fyi, xylene is the predominant component of Interlux 216, which is recommended for cold weather painting. The msds for Interlux 333 provides a range of percentages for the composition of kerosene, 75-100%, which I took to mean that sometimes they use 25% naptha and sometimes not. But that could be the wrong assumption. I imagine naptha will be difficult to locate in the retail market. I'll also check the composition of mineral spirits - which I did not consider previously. Bruce

· Registered
11 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It bugs me that the paint manufacturers repackage a mixture of common solvents and then increase the price 400%. $52/gal for Interlux 333 vs. $11/gal for kerosene is a substantial difference. If I could buy only the amount that I need, then you are correct that it is a relatively small investment; but that I must buy at least 1 qt. (333 sells for $32/qt.!), which will sit in the can for several years seems like a waste of money. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject - thanks! B.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.