SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I sit here contemplating my glass of scotch, I have this nagging question. Is my boat a ketch or a schooner? The masts are identical in height as are the sail dimensions. The designers call her a ketch, but I believe the purists would call her a schooner. I would be grateful for your insights. In the interim I will refill my glass and enter further contemplation

Paul

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Reaction score
Depends on the mast positions. If the aft mast is aft the rudder, it's a y'all rigged schooner .If foreword of rudder it's just a schooner.otoh if the foreward mast is tight in the bow it's a cat rigged ketch unless the aft mast makes it a cat rigged y'all .All very simple until you start adding yards.My favourite is the hymorphrodite brigantine cat rigged y'all schooner

·
19,468 Posts
Reaction score
Sounds like a schooner.. what boat is she?

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Schooner. No doubt. I'm a ketch man myself but if I were in your shoes I'd hop at the chance to call my boat a schooner. You'll get more chicks AND more approving nods from the guys with the beards and the corn cob pipes.
Med

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Med. With my white hair, I probably fit in with the corn cob pipes and beards. As for the chicks, I'm not sure I would how to handle one let alone more. Although they do say you never forget how to ride a bicycle.

Paul

·
Master Mariner
9,490 Posts
Reaction score
From your description, I was sure it was a schooner. But then you mentioned she was a Freedom 40, which has ALWAYS been called a cat ketch. I have never, since they first came out (1976) and were reviewed in the sailing magazines, heard one single person refer to the Freedom 40 as a schooner. I'm afraid I would bow to old Lewis Francis Herreshoff on this one guys; Freedom 40, Hoyt/Herreshoff Cat-ketch 1976.

·
Closet Powerboater
3,925 Posts
Reaction score
Interesting. Same height masts on a gaff or Marconi rig would be a schooner. Why then if the booms are wishbone booms would she suddenly become a ketch?

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Reaction score
Interesting. Same height masts on a gaff or Marconi rig would be a schooner. Why then if the booms are wishbone booms would she suddenly become a ketch?
Actaully, Med - I hate to break it to you but according to convention (and Wikipedia), a schooner has the foremast shorter than the mainmast; all else is a ketch, or something else:

Schooner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
84 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you all for your responses. In summary, many favor her being a schooner (and more of a chick magnet). Others favor the Herresoff/Wikepedia position that she is ketch.
So should I be accurate (+ more chicks) or follow Herreshoff. I think more contemplation (whisky) is required.

Paul

·
19,468 Posts
Reaction score
Based on mast placement I'd still go with Schooner, I think, but the designer oughta know...

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Reaction score
FWIW. When Morgan introduced the Morgan 60, with equal height main and mizzen masts, they described it as "a modern schooner".

Morgan 60 drawing on sailboatdata.com
Hull Type: Fin with rudder on skeg Rig Type: 2 Mst. Schooner
LOA: 59.92' / 18.26m LWL: 50.00' / 15.24m
Beam: 15.83' / 4.82m Listed SA: 1400 ft2 / 130.06 m2
Draft (max.) 6.67' / 2.03m Draft (min.)
Disp. 60000 lbs./ 27216 kgs. Ballast: 19000 lbs. / 8618 kgs.
SA/Disp.: 14.68 Bal./Disp.: 31.67% Disp./Len.: 214.29
Designer: Morgan Yachts
Builder: Morgan Yachts
Construct.: FG Bal. type:
First Built: 1980 Last Built: # Built:
AUXILIARY POWER (orig. equip.)
Make: Perkins Model:
Type: Diesel HP: 130
TANKS
Water: 500 gals. / 1892 ltrs. Fuel: 340 gals. / 1287 ltrs.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.