SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Included in the purchase of our boat was a duo of furling composite foresails by UK Sails. The 110 is in ok shape; the 125–with some tlc—may have a cruising season in it.

The uv panel is a tad ugly but in fair shape and the leach works well to 15kts. The problem is at the upper luff where the laminates are failing along the furl line. Aiming to extend the sail’s life a bit, I want to apply Mylar tape to both sides, perhaps sewing it in. I see that this tape is often used in lofts for repairs:

Any ideas about a similar product that won’t cost me 130% more for shipping? Any feedback on this type of repair is most welcome.

·
Registered
1987 Sabre 42 c/b
88 Posts
No personal experience but....

I have read/been told to not sew a laminate sail. Think "tear hear" on a sheet of paper. Use repair tape and a product called Dr. Sails. It is an epoxy made for sail repair and supposedly does an excellent job of repairing all sail materials. Good Luck.

Foster

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
No personal experience but....

I have read/been told to not sew a laminate sail. Think "tear hear" on a sheet of paper. Use repair tape and a product called Dr. Sails. It is an epoxy made for sail repair and supposedly does an excellent job of repairing all sail materials. Good Luck.

Foster
Most laminate sails are sewn. The clear laminate is not where the strength is. It's only purpose is to hold the Fibres in place.

A common failure on old laminate sails is for holes to appear in the laminate, particularly along fold lines. Usually they can be patched using clear sail repair tape. Kevlar tape is a bit overkill.

If they were my sails I would take them to a sailmaker to have them inspected and patched. They will likely hook you up with a few scraps of repair tape to do spot repairs on your own.

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Included in the purchase of our boat was a duo of furling composite foresails by UK Sails. The 110 is in ok shape; the 125–with some tlc—may have a cruising season in it.

The uv panel is a tad ugly but in fair shape and the leach works well to 15kts. The problem is at the upper luff where the laminates are failing along the furl line. Aiming to extend the sail’s life a bit, I want to apply Mylar tape to both sides, perhaps sewing it in. I see that this tape is often used in lofts for repairs:

Any ideas about a similar product that won’t cost me 130% more for shipping? Any feedback on this type of repair is most welcome.
Please post pictures. I done a lot of repair on laminates, but it really helps to see what you are talking about.

No, you probably do NOT want to sew it in.

Yes, Dr. Sails is top notch, but it depends on what you are fixing. Gotta see it!

Also, the best product, even for laminate sails, is polyester SA tape. The slight felxability of the cloth helps the tape adhesive maintain contact better than the more rigid mylar, depending on the application. (PSP makes really good tape--I've used many of their products and been pleased)

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Sailrite has many different sail repair tapes Dacron and laminate. the least sewing on a laminate sail the better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts