SailNet Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're thinking of doing a weekend getaway on our 39' Beneteau in the northern Keys. We draw 5'1" and need to be able to easily dinghy and/or swim to land with our dog to let her relieve herself.
We did this once before off of Pumpkin Key (see map below) but discovered that it was a private island- not ideal for doggy potty breaks. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
6,690 Posts
Head south to Marathon - they love sailboats, they have a special pet area, lots of stuff to do there, and the winter months are awesome.

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
1981 Endeavour 32
1,068 Posts
Have you thought about picking up a mooring in Largo Sound at Pennekamp? It's easy to dinghy over to the state park to walk the dog. If you're target is the upper keys that would be my recommendation. Staying there puts you less than an hour from some of the best diving / snorkeling spots in the keys.

You could also anchor out by Rodriguez Key, as there is a small section of dry land at the east end of the island there or you could dinghy over to the landing at the Mandalay Restaurant. Not a lot of protection there, though, so there can be a bit of a fetch to contend with if the wind's from NE.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Have you thought about picking up a mooring in Largo Sound at Pennekamp? It's easy to dinghy over to the state park to walk the dog. If you're target is the upper keys that would be my recommendation. Staying there puts you less than an hour from some of the best diving / snorkeling spots in the keys.

You could also anchor out by Rodriguez Key, as there is a small section of dry land at the east end of the island there or you could dinghy over to the landing at the Mandalay Restaurant. Not a lot of protection there, though, so there can be a bit of a fetch to contend with if the wind's from NE.
Can you get a 5.1 draft into Largo Sound at Pennekamp? Last time I was down that way, I decided I probably couldn't.

·
Registered
778 Posts
You can do the backside, but you'll be very, very limited with the 5' draft. We used to do Christmas week every year in our F-27 trimaran, and I'd have her board full down at 5' in the channels and was ok.

You can anchor in Thursday Cove just before the Jewfish Creek channel, you can certainly get to Gilbert's Resort/Steamer's, you can hang out in Blackwater Sound, I think you **maybe** can get in the anchorage behind the Caribbean Club (Sexton Cove). Maybe can get in to Tavernier Creek, but I don't think you can get in at Mangrove Marina.

In a nutshell: Backside, you'd have to watch your tides and the chart quite carefully, but you can probably do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts