SailNet Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!!
We are kicking off our new adventure with a Channel of our own. We leave next week for a three year Circumnavigation to do Freediving Spearfishing Scuba and Kitesurfing around the world. We plan to document every anchorage and destination with an eye towards these activities. Here is the link to kick everything off

https://youtu.be/YKyyjQ953ZE

Would love any feedback or comments to make things more in line with what people want to see. Thanks!!

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
1. Music was terrible- irritating and distracting. And that's coming from a person who likes both classical and all forms of electronic music.

2. After the 3 minute intro, I know you have a drone (doesn't everyone), and maybe a boat. Theres a couple shots of boat work going on, but I have zero details about it. I know nothing about you, where you're at, why you're doing this, and what your plan is. Storytelling 101 fail, Engaging your Audience 101 fail.

3. The good part - at least you haven't asked for money (yet).

Harsh perhaps, but honest. There's been plenty of other video blogs started that have failed to catch on for the same reasons. The "first in a new market segment" ship has sailed, so you likely can't offer "original.". You need to offer content that is a fresh perspective with interesting personalities, and I get no glimpse of either in that video.

That being said the boat looks rather interesting and you don't seem to be the typical young-no-responsibilities couple so maybe you'll be really interrsting- but that was REALLY reading between the lines because none of that came through clear in the video.

·
Super Moderator
4,489 Posts
Well, I guess you just learned your first lesson about posting videos on sailing forums. The criticism can be a little bit tough.

But there is an upside!

I have a YouTube channel too, mine isn't the kind intended to make money, it doesn't use fancy sound tracks, my wife doesn't pimp herself for thumbnails and we aren't trust fund kids sailing the globe. I do it just for fun, product reviews, location reviews etc, I try to keep it informative, throw in some humor where I can. It's a hobby, not a source of income (good thing too).

There is a great tool on YouTube called analytics. It shows your traffic sources. I have experimented a bit with posting videos to the major forums and then watching the influence it has on my YouTube views. The answer is very little, at least for me. Not only has it generated little traffic, but it can generate quite a bit of negativity.

Another thing to watch out for is, I have observed that, if you post a video on a forum, you may get many responses to it from people who never actually clicked on the link and watched the video, they are simply replying to the text in your comment, or even the comments of other posters, again, you can use your analytics to observe this relationship. Sailing forums can be a little bit like a shark tank when it comes to certain types of content, one shark bites, and then the rest of the sharks feed off the blood.

My point here, is don't be discouraged by the responses you get on forums, the real measure of how people perceive your content will come from your analytics and YouTube comments, not from responses on sailing forums.

YouTube can be a fun hobby, but you have to have a bit of a thick skin at times.

·
Chastened
4,862 Posts
Because we need yet *another* vblog of beautiful, tan people cruising the tropics.

·
Administrator
5,915 Posts
Here are some examples of channels that got me hooked. One has bad video technique but from all of the first episodes I got a sense of emotion, their stated goals, what they're leaving behind if they were packing it in for a long trip. There was something that made me want to look at subsequent episodes.

I have to agree about the music. It is kind of jarring. I watched the trailer and when after the first 25 seconds of the first episode there was still no voice over introduction about the episode I turned it off.

Reactions: SVLiquid

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
I, for one, am happy to have another cruising vlog to watch and follow. Thanks for sharing.

You'll be just fine if you do it for yourself. And to the early critics, remember, the big names in YouTube sailing didn't start with the video/content quality they're at now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Arcb, Donna_F and kwaltersmi for the constructive feedback.

This is the kind of stuff we are looking for.

Arcb - It's interesting to hear the relationship between the forums and viewership. I'll definitely be trying out the analytics to see what works and what doesn't. We will be liberally applying "Skin Thickener" as needed. :)

Donna_F - Thanks for the links to channels you like! I'll be watching them to see what I can learn.

kwaltersmi - Thanks for the positivity. We will be working hard to make things better and better with every video!

- I'm wondering if the folks who don't like the music could offer specific suggestions for royalty free alternatives? A link to some specific examples (they don't need to be free) would actually be helpfull

- Anyone who wants to find out more about us or our adventure can go to our website About - SVLiquid
- A quick tour of the boat can be found at General - SVLiquid

Thanks Everyone!!

·
Registered
770 Posts
I watched the trailer and my only criticism is that the author was not introduced. I haven't watched the series, if there is one yet, so I don't know who is telling the story. I hope there is more background and answers to the questions raised. The music was a little dramatic, but otherwise fine. I would suggest lighter fare.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Well I also think it looks like a very intresting boat ,and I am intrested in seeing how it sails and how you handle it with a small crew.but...as far as the videos so far..I kept wanting to hit fast forward maybe once you are underway.. Ralph

·
Registered
333 Posts
- I'm wondering if the folks who don't like the music could offer specific suggestions for royalty free alternatives? A link to some specific examples (they don't need to be free) would actually be helpfull
Check out Audionautix. No affiliation. Oh, and my suggesting something doesn't mean I didn't like the music. :)

Audionautix said:
All music in this online collection created by Jason Shaw. Released under Creative Commons License 3.0. You are free to use the music (even for commercial purposes) as long as you provide a link to this website from yours OR credit us with, "music by audionautix.com". Must be part some other created works. No further permission is required. If you need a signed release form, click link below.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rbrasi - Noted! We will try to get another version done where we either have an introduction section or a voiceover to introduce ourselves.

Towguy - We will do what we can to get something out as soon as possible. We start south from San Francisco next week so we should be able to get some footage for you. :)

twoshoes - Thanks for the link! I'll check them out and see if anything works for us.

Thanks Again Everyone!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok We are trying to take in the feedback and we are on to EP 03!!

We made it shorter (4m30s) added maps and more verbal description of what was going on.

Would love more feedback on if this is better than the previous episodes and what you might do different.

https://youtu.be/nEyZOB1jjo4

Thanks!!

·
Registered
282 Posts
Not bad, short &sweet,music is good,:ship-captain:...too bad not enough wind maybe next leg....Ralph

1 - 16 of 16 Posts