SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kids'''' residential sail camps?

Our 11 year old may want his own boat this year. He sat in on ASA classes with us, knows a pretty good dose of sail theory, and is a passable swimmer. My wife and I can''t get away much this summer but our boy would like to get to a sail-focused camp ... not a regular summer camp where a few hours of canoeing a week are mixed in with nature hikes and leatherwork, etc. He''s also a good trveler & has been away from home often enough. We live in the southwest (Nuevo Mexico), so someplace in the southwest (TX - CO - CA etc.) would work better than down east. Any ideas, experience, etc.?

·
Registered
3,637 Posts

The New York Times Magazine often has lots of camps from all over the country advertised in the back page or two. Worth a trip to the Library, anyway.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Mystic Seaport is sending me their brochure.
Unfortunately, many of their weeks are filled.There''s also a 4/6-week camp at a private school in the Massachusetts back-bay area. National general-interest magazine / newspaper ads aren''t very targeted. Many tall ship or high-adventure programs are age-restricted to teens.
I could also look in a couple of camping directories, though that is not the easy way to find such a place and wouldn''t tell me much about the focus, quality, or reputation of a camp. Lots of places have day camps.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

If you can reconsider on the location, there are two excellent camps in NC - Camp Sea Gull (boys) and Camp Sea Farer (girls). They provide rather extensive boat handling and sailing education.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts