SailNet Community banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(I'm cribbing from my own cruising blog on this one, but it's so bloody alarming it needs to be shared.)
Okay, they’re not “killer” in the sense of killing us all, but if the Asian carp inching up the Mississippi system succeed in making it into Lake Michigan, it’s pretty much game over for the Great Lakes. We can all pack our boating and fishing toys and go home, because there’s going to be little left to enjoy.

Asian carp are those voracious bottom feeders and nightmare stars of online videos which show huge fish leaping out of the water and smacking grown men in the head and groin as their boats pass by. This species is the doomsday weapon of the Great Lakes ecosystem. If they make it in Lake Michigan, I’m moving to Lake Superior and hoping the locks at the Sault can keep them at bay.

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports (Corps scrambling to turn up voltage on carp barrier - JSOnline) that the foreign species is just seven miles from the experimental electrified barrier the US Army Corps of Engineers has set up on the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal, which connects the Mississippi system to Lake Michigan. So alarming is the situation that the USACE wants to crank the voltage up to 2 volts, because at the current test level of 1 volt, there’s not enough juice in the water to stop all sizes of carp. But proposed voltage increases are being met with resistance (no ohm jokes please) by the barge industry’s American Waterways Association.

“According to a memo from the Coast Guard, the canal will be shut down to boat traffic for most of Wednesday to see if the barrier can even function at two volts per inch. If the barrier passes that test, two or three days of additional safety tests are planned. Some are frustrated that the Army Corps waited until surveys showed the carp were mustering just below the barrier to begin the higher voltage tests. `If they had any sense of urgency, this would have been done long ago, instead of waiting until an emergency comes up,’ said Dan Thomas, president of the Great Lakes Sportfishing Council. `We're waiting until it may be too late.’”

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
Helmet. Codpiece. Cricket bat. Sounds like a fun afternoon of carp-slapping, if you ask me.

No, I lie. That's just fear talking. The invasive carp in the Finger Lakes would bump your shins during a night swim, or at worst nibble your toes a little. But giant, malicious, groin-smacking sucker fish are apocalyptic. Forget 2V shocks. Let's roll out the nukes, NOW.:gunner

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Helmet. Codpiece. Cricket bat. Sounds like a fun afternoon of carp-slapping, if you ask me.

No, I lie. That's just fear talking. The invasive carp in the Finger Lakes would bump your shins during a night swim, or at worst nibble your toes a little. But giant, malicious, groin-smacking sucker fish are apocalyptic. Forget 2V shocks. Let's roll out the nukes, NOW.:gunner
Would it matter if we took out Chicago? Just curious.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
Now that I'm here again and not on A-S... ;)

We've had a carp problem (European Carp, they call them) in our big rivers for longer than I can remember. They're invasive, make quite a mess, kill off all the native species, including turtles, etc. and there isn't much you can do except put up with them.

One industrious crowd up along the Murray is making a buck turning them into fertiliser. Maybe someone over your way can do that too?!?

Charlie Carp Fertiliser

Just a thought..

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Now that I'm here again and not on A-S... ;)

We've had a carp problem (European Carp, they call them) in our big rivers for longer than I can remember. They're invasive, make quite a mess, kill off all the native species, including turtles, etc. and there isn't much you can do except put up with them.

One industrious crowd up along the Murray is making a buck turning them into fertiliser. Maybe someone over your way can do that too?!?

Charlie Carp Fertiliser

Just a thought..
We already have the garden variety carp, at least in Ontario, thanks to our dingbat English ancestors who imported them (as SPORT FISH) in the 19th century. The special quality of the Asian carp, beyond their voraciousness, is the unnerving way they hurl themselves into the sky whenever a motorized vessel passes by.

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
We already have the garden variety carp, at least in Ontario, thanks to our dingbat English ancestors who imported them (as SPORT FISH) in the 19th century.
I believe our ancestors were responsible for our problem too - that's way no-one kicks up much of a fuss.. It's like the cane toad problem - a problem you live with until someone finds a solution.

The special quality of the Asian carp, beyond their voraciousness, is the unnerving way they hurl themselves into the sky whenever a motorized vessel passes by.
Huh?!? You're Americans! Can't you just shoot them?? :eek:

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
hartley people do shoot em. here is a link with people bow hunting them, not bow fishing. i have seen a vid of some guys with shotguns but i cant find it

·
Once known as Hartley18
5,179 Posts
hartley people do shoot em. here is a link with people bow hunting them, not bow fishing. i have seen a vid of some guys with shotguns but i cant find it
A shotgun is what I'd suggest... If they're as thick in the water over there as they are here, loaded with grape you'd get 2-3 in one hit!

Not sure what you'd do with them afterwards though - there are no fenceposts at sea to hang them on. Your neighbours mooring perhaps? Or the local Councillor's driveway?? ;)

Good hunting! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
We have huge carp at our club and we have them working for us.Every summer when the weeds get bad we buy 100 lb. bags of corn and spread it around the harbour.The carp come in and pull out the weeds to get the corn.
The ducks love it too but they won't pull the weeds.

Phil

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have huge carp at our club and we have them working for us.Every summer when the weeds get bad we buy 100 lb. bags of corn and spread it around the harbour.The carp come in and pull out the weeds to get the corn.
The ducks love it too but they won't pull the weeds.

Phil
I'd never heard of that weed-cutting strategy. Very clever. But at our club, I suspect scattering corn would cause the Canada geese to multiply like anthrax.

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe our ancestors were responsible for our problem too - that's way no-one kicks up much of a fuss.. It's like the cane toad problem - a problem you live with until someone finds a solution.

Huh?!? You're Americans! Can't you just shoot them?? :eek:
Well, speaking for myself, I'm Canadian, and up here in Soviet Canuckistan, I'm pretty sure there's some pesky ordinance forbidding the discharge of firearms into public waters. (Bow hunting sounds promising though...) Actually, a couple dingbats in Saskatchewan just made headlines by filming themselves shooting ducks for kicks while the birds were paddling around in a pond (illegal) and shooting at them from a vehicle (ditto). They posted it on YouTube, were ID'd, rounded up, and slapped with big fines and bans on owning firearms for a couple years.

·
Glad I found Sailnet
3,842 Posts
Well, speaking for myself, I'm Canadian, and up here in Soviet Canuckistan, I'm pretty sure there's some pesky ordinance forbidding the discharge of firearms into public waters...
There's rules against putting lead shot into the lakes, so you have to use steel shot.

--

Back to the original post, I submitted the story to the drudgereport.com site. Since the TV news channels use dudgereport to spot interesting stories, it may get some online and tradition "press" that way.

If anyone has a moment, got to DRUDGE REPORT 2009®, go to the bottom right and paste the lead there for them to see. Better if more than one of us does it, I'd think.

Regards

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Well, speaking for myself, I'm Canadian, and up here in Soviet Canuckistan, ....
LOL! :laugher I'm gonna have to remember that one :).

I'm pretty sure there's some pesky ordinance forbidding the discharge of firearms into public waters.
Probably just as well. The flying attack carp would be bad enough. Now add a lake-full of boaters with shotguns trying to take 'em down on the wing. Somehow seems like a "what could possibly go wrong?" moment.

I wonder... "news" items say they seem to be provoked into jumping at the sound of a power-boat. So... sailboats don't rile them? They attack only stink-boaters?

Hmmm...

Jim

·
baDumbumbum
1,142 Posts
New sport: Carp Skeet. It's unsporting to shoot them in the water. Bunch of hunters on a raft (wearing, what, cloud-pattern camo in a fetching blue?); underwater speakers blare powerboat sounds; shoot em as they leap, boys and girls!

We'll need a new breed of retriever, specifically to fetch the dead and wounded (winged? finned?) carp. The Soo Setter? Canadian Koihound? Michigan Yellow Carper?

Oh sure, this seems like a crisis today. In twenty years, it'll be just another obscure Olympic event dominated by Canadians -- like curling. Did you know curling (sliding heavy granite stones across the ice with tremendous accuracy) was invented to control beaver populations? True fact. Evil little gnawers stick their heads out of a breathing hole ... THUMP.

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Jim
I wish I could take credit, but "Soviet Canuckistan" was uttered by the irrepressible Bill O'Reilly on Fox in response to something or other the commie Canadians had done. Like speak French or have public health care. I can't rightly recall, but I'm determined to keep the label alive.

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wonder... "news" items say they seem to be provoked into jumping at the sound of a power-boat. So... sailboats don't rile them? They attack only stink-boaters?

Hmmm...

Jim
It does seem to be engine noise that gets them all freaky. I was hoping sailboats would be immune as well, but of course the moment I fire up my Atomic 4 (aka the Atomic Bomb) I'm sure the water will erupt.

·
overdue at Sans Souci
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh sure, this seems like a crisis today. In twenty years, it'll be just another obscure Olympic event dominated by Canadians -- like curling.
I admit, we only are medal threats in two broad disciplines. One is hard projectiles on ice (curling and hockey) and the other is anything involving sparkle lip gloss and mascara (synchronized swimming, men's and women's figure skating).

1 - 20 of 52 Posts