SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All...

At my marina, when the sun goes down on a still evening, the bugs come out! What do you guys use to repel and/or kill bugs? I would try a mosqueto magnet but the power and propane requirements are not ideal ;)

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
A mosquito magnet has the advantage that once it has run for about a month, the number of mosquitoes in the area will drop dramatically, since mosquitoes don't travel much further than 300' from where they're hatched.

Citronella candles work pretty well.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A mosquito magnet has the advantage that once it has run for about a month, the number of mosquitoes in the area will drop dramatically, since mosquitoes don't travel much further than 300' from where they're hatched.
Yeah mine works great in my yard. Maybe I can get the marina owner to deploy a few.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sit next to the admiral. She smells delicious or so the bugs say.

·
Registered
249 Posts
a friend mentioned that lining up a few citronella candles in from of the companion way works well. I'll be trying it this summer.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a friend mentioned that lining up a few citronella candles in from of the companion way works well. I'll be trying it this summer.
Yeah but that stuff really stinks. or at least it used to when I last used it some years ago. Off has a new product called click off or something, that is worth a try.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
The bane of my hiking and camping existence.

Honestly ? This time of year I just stop hiking and camping. I don't have the patience for it, I would much rather camp in the spring, autumn after the first frost, and in the winter, even the dead of winter is better than bug season. I have tried all kinds of remedies, I have tried sleeping under mosquito net, I have tried candles, fires, sprays, you name it, actually I never gave sprays much of a chance because I don't want chemicals all over me, I understand they really do work.

Mosquito nets do work but of course you aren't going to wear those when you are active. I would think on a boat that a bimini would be your best bet, one that has netting to keep the bugs out.

The one good thing about where I live is that it is mostly mosquitoes, I would be very unhappy if I had to deal with black flies and some of the insects that other people have to deal with, at least we don't have scorpions here! :D

I did forget to mention one thing that does help, if you have a mosquito net hat, that really does help. I don't know about most people but the mosquitoes don't bother me that much so long as they aren't in my face, buzzing directly in my ear, on the back of my neck, and in general just around my head, they really don't bother me as much if they bite me on the legs or something.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Addition to my last post - you might also try using enough mosquito net to build small rooms and enclosures where ever you like to sit, the material is very inexpensive. Just put up a couple of supports to hold it, then hang it up and exist inside of it in the evenings. People who live in areas with a lot of mosquitoes often drape mosquito netting over their beds and make like tents out of the stuff to stay comfortable, for example.

This is a pretty picture .. CLICK HERE

·
Registered
928 Posts
What's a mosquito:eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
928 Posts
From awhile back

<TABLE class=tborder id=post423606 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>12-28-2008 - [add post to favorites] <!-- / status icon and date -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>CapnRon47
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_423606", true); </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Jul 2007

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_423606><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->screen cockpit enclosure
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Not sure this really counts as a project (other than the Admiral says it does). The creek and river we are on in NC has a major mosquito issue several times a year, so something is needed to keep them off if you want to enjoy the cockpit in the evening. I found a simple solution using a Walmart $30 screen siding that are sold for 10' x 10' canopy gazebo's.

I simply gathered up the the parts that attach to the gazebo frame with some line and I lay that over the bimini. The bottom has elastic straps that attach nicely to the bimini hold downs and it even has 2 zippered entries for easy access. Here is the Admiral enjoying the results of this 'project.'

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
311 Posts
Thanks for reminding me. I looked for these when you posted the pic a while back, but it wasn't the right season. Looks like a great solution.

·
Registered
31 Posts
From awhile back

<TABLE class=tborder id=post423606 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead>12-28-2008 - [add post to favorites] <!-- / status icon and date -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px"><!-- user info --><TABLE cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap>CapnRon47
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_423606", true); </SCRIPT>
</TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>Join Date: Jul 2007

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_423606><!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- icon and title -->screen cockpit enclosure
<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Not sure this really counts as a project (other than the Admiral says it does). The creek and river we are on in NC has a major mosquito issue several times a year, so something is needed to keep them off if you want to enjoy the cockpit in the evening. I found a simple solution using a Walmart $30 screen siding that are sold for 10' x 10' canopy gazebo's.

I simply gathered up the the parts that attach to the gazebo frame with some line and I lay that over the bimini. The bottom has elastic straps that attach nicely to the bimini hold downs and it even has 2 zippered entries for easy access. Here is the Admiral enjoying the results of this 'project.'

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
I was curious if there was a way to rig this up without a bimini? I almost bought one at walmart the other night based on this thread before I realized the side screens and canopy are sold seperately! Can the screens themself zip together to make a big mosquito net?

·
Caribbean Surveyor
511 Posts
I was reading an article the other day saying that spraying Listerine around where you are sitting works. I have not tried it and I wonder if it would make the boat sticky? The article was more or less meant when sitting on a patio or grass.

I will try it someday. Might be BS.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
I was curious if there was a way to rig this up without a bimini? I almost bought one at walmart the other night based on this thread before I realized the side screens and canopy are sold seperately! Can the screens themself zip together to make a big mosquito net?
It is easy to sew mosquito net together, might be worth considering. You can just order a bunch of screen online and cut it to whatever size you want and sew it together with a regular sewing machine to make as big a piece as you want. It is already big, it comes in normal fabric sizes which is yards wide and as many yards long as you want. Mosquito net is also very inexpensive in bulk, you can buy enough of it that you can just go crazy with the stuff. Wrap your whole boat in mosquito net if you want, run it up the pole. :D

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
IIRC B vitamins, specifically folic acid, in high doses, will repel mosquitoes. :)

Vegemite will help or vitamin B.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts