SailNet Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used Garmin GLO Bluetooth with iPad running "Skipper" charting software yesterday. "meh", it was "ok" but not great. IMHO, sorta buggy annoying screen dropouts, slow to expand or make scale smaller, weird lines across screen. I've never used a chart plotter so maybe they are all like that.
Wouldn't use it as primary nav tool. Won't replace my library of paper charts.

This was actually a test of the "FrogSuit" waterproof floating neoprene case for the iPad and it worked well. Propped atop theVHF of my center console of my 20' Tolman skiff, it was easily visible (beneath the Bimini). Only a few brief moments of spray so not good demo of the waterproof ness but proof that it was easy to use.

Supposedly Sailnet will be contacting me about advertising and I will give the company URL in an ad.

·
Asleep at the wheel
3,017 Posts
That's interesting. I found Skipper to be pretty good, but I used my internal GPS on my iPhone 5, and I have good cell reception where I sail. In fact, I used it just yesterday as we moved our boat to a new marina. The power cord was ripped on my primary GPS when I got aboard - I think it was the guys at the marina. I don't think it was intentional, but still it was kind of annoying to find it when I was trying to leave their marina because I was tired of them "finding" things wrong with my boat and charging an arm and a leg.

Sorry...got off topic there. Anyway, I like Skipper, and did use it as my primary nav tool.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts