SailNet Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay folks,

I am considering two important purchases, the KISS wind generator being one of them. Any last minute advice/thoughts on this wind generator before I make my final decision and place the order ? Please, anyone who has this unit, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts before I commit to it.

It was a choice between the Four winds and the KISS, and, I don't know, I just kind of like the KISS I suppose. I have no experience with either one of them. These two seemed like they were the highest output in low winds and I am in low wind situations a lot (aren't we all ?). Thanks Cam for that chart you posted some time ago.

One thing I didn't like about the Four winds is that it seems very expensive for what amounts to an alternator with a prop on the front. Yes, it is more complicated than that, but is it $$$$ more complicated ?

·
moderate?
1,000 Posts
I like the 4 winds best but KISS is a strong second choice and nearly $1k less. I agree that the KISS is the better value. I know lots of cruisers that have them and are happy. Only problem seems to be responsiveness to parts requests sometimes.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the 4 winds best but KISS is a strong second choice and nearly $1k less. I agree that the KISS is the better value. I know lots of cruisers that have them and are happy. Only problem seems to be responsiveness to parts requests sometimes.
I'm glad to hear that Cam. I remembered that you liked the four winds and that was a major factor in even considering it for the price, I figured you had done your homework. My only real concern with the KISS is exactly what you said, since it is essentially a one man operation we are completely dependent on that one man.

·
Registered
197 Posts
We have a KISS and it's been great. John at Hotwire really knows the unit and keeps most of the common parts around. It's not a big deal to keep the unit running.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I did not use this brand. Make sure that the noise level is low. I used five blade wind generator on my boat, and never heard any sound on board both in low winds and high winds. I transferred a boat with a three blade wind generator and the sound it delivered was more than the electricty produced. I was forcede to tie the blades to the mast (mizzen) to overcome the noise.

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We have a KISS and it's been great. John at Hotwire really knows the unit and keeps most of the common parts around. It's not a big deal to keep the unit running.
Thanks s/v Sirius - your post brings up another question, the unit seems to sell for 995$us at the KISS site and for 1195$us at s/v Hotwire's site, what's the difference ? Is s/v Hotwire providing a service or part that is value added, or is the 995$us actually not $us (some other currency) and the difference is currency conversion, or ????

·
Banned
5,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks s/v Sirius - your post brings up another question, the unit seems to sell for 995$us at the KISS site and for 1195$us at s/v Hotwire's site, what's the difference ? Is s/v Hotwire providing a service or part that is value added, or is the 995$us actually not $us (some other currency) and the difference is currency conversion, or ????
Okay, I think I see what the extra 200$us gets you from s/v Hotwire, since they seem to be the North American distributor for the KISS wind generator, your extra 200$us buys you the opportunity to own a KISS wind generator if you live in North America. :D

·
Telstar 28
993 Posts
It also pays for shipping the KISS from the islands where they're made to the US... and the import duties and dealing with the customs hassles. :)
Okay, I think I see what the extra 200$us gets you from s/v Hotwire, since they seem to be the North American distributor for the KISS wind generator, your extra 200$us buys you the opportunity to own a KISS wind generator if you live in North America. :D

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My KISS is 10 years old now. The only problem I had was a bearing. That was because we got caught in a 60+knot squall. I couldn't get to it quick enough to shut it down. I have had many compliments on the small amount of noise it puts out while in anchorages. I am not familiar with the four winds, but if it's half the price I would lean towards the kiss. Unless money was unlimited, and it's not....lololololol.....i2f

·
Warm Weather Sailor
1,040 Posts
Had mine for five years now. Couldn't be happier. Use to have a Windbugger. The KISS is simple, parts are easily available, not like some manufacturers that erase all identifying marks so that you have to buy from them. I got two spare bearings but have not had to use them so far. The unit is used six months a year, in the Bahamas. Ideal at 18-20 knots, anything greater and the thermal switches cut the unit off, to get around this in high winds, tie the unit slightly off the wind.

·
Registered
450 Posts
A recent Air Breeze and Kiss noise level comaprison?

We too are looking to purchase a wind generator. We have looked at the Air Breeze and I also like the Kiss. A friend has a new Air Breeze on his boat, a 42 CC and it seems too loud for us. We can not find a Kiss to compare it to. Does anyone have an updated comparison of the Kiss and the Air breeze where the noise level is concerned?
Thanks,
Chip

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
all i know is the air x, and its loud. when the wind gets over 15 knots i can hear one from 50 yards. it sounds like the swish from hell

·
Registered
334 Posts
I had a KISS on my boat for 5 years and loved it...

1. Very simple and solid construction.

2. Built by Doug Billings in Trinidad (I bought mine while down there) he is great to deal with. I would not begrudge the extra $200 to SV Hotwire if you were buying it in the US. Great people and very knowledgeable.

3. The only issues were some cracking on the blades after 5 years of use ($200 replacement, if I remember correctly). If it overheats when running in very strong winds the thermal cutout occurs and then the blades freewheel:eek:. When that happens I just stay below and kick myself for not tying it off earlier. It eventually stops.

4. Keep in mind that it is a "Trade Wind" generator and needs a good breeze to start generating.

Strongly recommended.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts