SailNet Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Banned
5,006 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay folks,

I am considering two important purchases, the KISS wind generator being one of them. Any last minute advice/thoughts on this wind generator before I make my final decision and place the order ? Please, anyone who has this unit, I would be interested in hearing your thoughts before I commit to it.

It was a choice between the Four winds and the KISS, and, I don't know, I just kind of like the KISS I suppose. I have no experience with either one of them. These two seemed like they were the highest output in low winds and I am in low wind situations a lot (aren't we all ?). Thanks Cam for that chart you posted some time ago.

One thing I didn't like about the Four winds is that it seems very expensive for what amounts to an alternator with a prop on the front. Yes, it is more complicated than that, but is it $$$$ more complicated ?

· Banned
5,006 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the 4 winds best but KISS is a strong second choice and nearly $1k less. I agree that the KISS is the better value. I know lots of cruisers that have them and are happy. Only problem seems to be responsiveness to parts requests sometimes.
I'm glad to hear that Cam. I remembered that you liked the four winds and that was a major factor in even considering it for the price, I figured you had done your homework. My only real concern with the KISS is exactly what you said, since it is essentially a one man operation we are completely dependent on that one man.

· Banned
5,006 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a KISS and it's been great. John at Hotwire really knows the unit and keeps most of the common parts around. It's not a big deal to keep the unit running.
Thanks s/v Sirius - your post brings up another question, the unit seems to sell for 995$us at the KISS site and for 1195$us at s/v Hotwire's site, what's the difference ? Is s/v Hotwire providing a service or part that is value added, or is the 995$us actually not $us (some other currency) and the difference is currency conversion, or ????

· Banned
5,006 Posts
Reaction score
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks s/v Sirius - your post brings up another question, the unit seems to sell for 995$us at the KISS site and for 1195$us at s/v Hotwire's site, what's the difference ? Is s/v Hotwire providing a service or part that is value added, or is the 995$us actually not $us (some other currency) and the difference is currency conversion, or ????
Okay, I think I see what the extra 200$us gets you from s/v Hotwire, since they seem to be the North American distributor for the KISS wind generator, your extra 200$us buys you the opportunity to own a KISS wind generator if you live in North America. :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.