SailNet Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Broad Reachin'
2,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my 11 year old daughter and I are crafting a kite camera rig to get some aerial photos/videos of our sailing adventures next summer. So far we've got a "prototype" that worked ok in our trials this weekend, but there are some flaws. Most notably, the camera is not steady enough so the video makes me nauseous. The camera we're using (Olympus Tough) doesn't have wifi/bluetooth for a remote, so we have to trigger the shutter delay if we want photos and start the video capture before we launch the kite. I'm guessing this would all be easier if we had a lightweight camera like a GoPro Hero.

Anyone else ever rig a kite camera? How did you do it? Any tips/tricks?

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
There was a write up on this in Wooden Boat mag about six mo's. ago . To trigger the cam they had a remote control . R/C air plane type . They also just bought a kite kit . They were just taking pics. no vid. If you want the artical I'm sure you could find it on the WB site . Good luck with the rig.

·
They call me EB
19 Posts
I use an old smart phone and an app called lapse it pro. That way I can automatically set it to take a picture whenever, or I have have the phone render it into a video. The downside is that some phone cameras are pretty crappy.

lapseit dot com

(I can't post links yet =/ )

·
Registered
140 Posts
I haven't tried it but it seems to me that fishing kites would be good in this application.
They are designed to be pretty steady in flight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts