SailNet Community banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been working on getting the decks and cockpit painted for the better part of two months now, beginning with the slick surfaces that were done with Petit two part expoxy paint, the first application being a disaster, and the second coat, just OK. Yes, I followed the directions to the letter, but the weatherman didn't give a damned if I was painting and hit me with higher than predicted humidity, thus the loss of the gloss finish.

Now, I'm working with Kiwigrip, which is water based and requires lightning fast timing. This stuff is the consistency of Yogurt, and the best way to apply the paint is with a trowel with 1/8-inch V-notches. I had to cover the boat with a tarp, thus keeping all painted surfaces in the shade. My boat is a 1973 Morgan Out Island, and the non skid had completely worn off over many years of usage. I was down to where I could see dark black coming through the finish and it was really slick when wet.

To get the paint out of the can, I used an old soup spoon, which worked best. Then after trowling the paint on the area, the next step is to use their texturized, loopy-goopy roller to obtain the non-skid finish. The paint dries very, very rapidly, therefore, as soon as the texture is achieved, you must quickly remove the masking tape or you will lift the edges of the paint. They recommend doing about 4 square feet at a time, but I was able to get away with doing about 10 square feet.

Bottom line - the finish looks great, there's no way in Hell that you will slip on this finish, and with luck, another four days of painting and I'll be done and ready to go sailing. I'm already two months behind on my sailing schedule because of the weather this spring.

Attached are some videos of the works in progress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onRw6btscHY&feature=youtu.be

Gary :cool:

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Thank you for your write-up and the video.

Most of my boat has cleaned up nicely, but the non-skid looks like garbage. Some previous owner needlessly put some sort of gritted non-skid over the original non-skid. The new stuff is wearing off in blotches and just looks terrible. I've been thinking that Kiwigrip might be the way to cover up that ugliness.

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
doing the kiwi as we speak. Humidity makes a huge difference. First few days with very high humidity it took a while to dry and was easy to work with. Today was drier and I had to work very fast, even with the work area shaded by a tarp.
With high humidity, it went on thicker. Today, with lower humidity, it went on thinner. Hope the thick application holds up.

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Xort, The beauty of using that trowel to put down the paint is it is very uniform. No thick or thin spots.

Good Luck,

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I am using a trowel. And the loopy goopy roller.

Last week the foredeck was wet 12 hours later. Today's work was dry in 1 hour.
Same technique. Only difference was humidity.

·
Old enough to know better
4,344 Posts
Looking good, but I was kind of disappointed in your videos. I was expecting a sound track by you on the keyboard kind of ala Benny Hill with you running around rolling yourself into a corner then chasing some woman off who stepped on the wet Kiwi grip.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I'm contemplating on doing this as well and have been looking for those that have used the Kiwigrip. How much material did you use?

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At this point, I've only used 1/3 of a gallon, but I still have a lot of deck to cover. I purchased two gallons based upon their recommended coverage specifications.

If I were chasing a good looking woman off he deck it be be DRFerron - Hopefully, she'll be aboard in a couple weeks when the job is finished and the boat is ready to sail.

Cheers,

·
19,488 Posts
Gary can the stuff be tinted to a different colour?

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
Yes, you can take the white in to the local paint store and they can tint it with their standard paint tints...

Now, can they match a particular shade.....probably hit or miss with a bit of experimentation..

·
Registered
98 Posts
I can't comment on the durability as I have only applied it and haven't used it in a real world situation (I'll find out this year). I have to say though, that it is really easy to work with, it looks fantastic, and customer support is second to none. I've gone through 2 gallons to do all the decks on my Alberg 35 and have another quart on hand to finish the cockpit. I've done the application in stages and it blends perfectly with previous coats, so patching shouldn't be a problem either. The hardest part is taping everything off and sanding the edges by the tape so there is a good mechanical bond. There aren't even any nasty fumes.

I've found that humidity is the only factor that can throw you. My first application last year I did when the temperature was in the low 60's and humidity was high. I applied it to the cabintop with a trowel and spread with a notched spreader. Then I rolled it all out with the loopy goopy roller and left to let it dry. I came back the next afternoon and it hadn't tacked up at all. I panicked and thought I had done something wrong because the can said it should be dry to the touch after a few hours.

I sent an email off to KiwiGrip customer support and within an hour got a reply from Willy Stigglebout (owner/manager/proprietor of KiwiGrip) asking a bunch of questions regarding humidity. We exchanged back and forth a few times and he told me to get a hair dryer or fan on it and it should be fine and said he would follow up to see how it turned out.

Once I put a hair dryer on it followed up with a fan, it hardened up nicely in no time. The next day (Sunday) I got a call from Willy asking me how it turned out. We chatted for a while regarding the humidity and how that is really important part of the process. He was very easy to talk to and was genuinely interested in how it turned out. The point is that there is someone there who will back you up if you run into issues.

I highly recommend it and I'm not affiliated with the company other than having used the product.

One last thing... pull the tape up before it hardens.

·
Administrator
Farr 11.6 (Farr 38)
9,563 Posts
Gary can the stuff be tinted to a different colour?
Ron,

I had a pretty long chat with the folks who rep Kiwigrip. The factory only mixes a limited number of colors, but you can get it tinted to almost any color that you can think of. Their recommendation was to use Kiwigrip white and to pick your color that is a Benjamin Moore standard color mix and have a store tint it to that color. They were very strong proponents of using Benjamin Moore for the tinting for compatability reasons.

Jeff

·
19,488 Posts
Thanks all... it's a project on my list...

·
Freedom isn't free
3,055 Posts
How flat does the surface need to be to paint over it? I mean I have some nonskid left on my boat, can I just rough the surface, and kiwigrip over it? Or do I need to sand smooth first then kiwigrip?

·
Superior Sailor
1,032 Posts
Kiwi Grip will fill the voids and pattern of original non skid, fills minor imperfections from repairs and covers over smooth surfaces or repairs, the Loopy roller makes it's own NS pattern and blends all three sub surfaces to match...

I used it to redo the sole of my boat, and found you can create anywhere from a smoothish "stipple" to an aggressive "pointy" NS by how much you work the roller...less is smoother...I wanted a less aggressive feel inside the boat than I would outside on the deck...

·
Registered
6,685 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First thing tomorrow, I hope to do two more areas of the cabin top. So far, I'm amazed at how far this product goes. It seems to cover more square footage than I anticipated. today temperature was 99 degrees and the humidity was 90 percent, way to high for this old codger to work outdoors. Hopefully tomorrow will be cooler.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts