SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 70's era ensign that I am going to be doing an overhaul on this winter. I am working on getting all the supplies together. The deck currently has a very damaged imprinted non skid on it which I'd like to cover if at all possible. I searched and found a lot of older threads that were helpful but figured I would revive the topic and see if any new experience or suggestions are out there.

I recently was on a boat where the owner used Kiwigrip and the stuff looked beautiful and worked great. He swears by it and it was his first time doing anything like this on his own and it looks like it was done by a professional.

I am looking to redo my deck and it seems like this might be the answer for the non skid areas. My current problem is the old imprinted nonskid is very worn, in many places there have been repairs where it was never replaced and the area is slick.

I was wondering if anyone can speak of there experience covering an imprinted nonskid with kiwi grip and if it was able to hide the old texture or if it ultimately came through. I am anticipating sanding the entire deck down prior to application so I'd have the imprint sanded as best as possible. I am wondering if Kiwigrip or another product might go on thick enough to "hide" the old texture / imprint so that I get a nice uniform look.

Any suggestions or
alternatives are welcome.

Sorry for the poor picture I'm not at the boat to take a picture but it gives you an idea what I am dealing with.

·
Registered
Catalina 315
1,152 Posts
If it was my Ensign, I'd remove all the hardware, sand and fill the entire deck, sand the nonskid down flat, and paint using a two part epoxy. And, use the whatever material is currently the hot ticket on the non-skid areas and overcoat it with the two part epoxy.

The Kiwi approach is a bit of a shortcut. Not saying it isn't a legitimate shortcut, but it's a shortcut on this boat that likely needs a more comprehensive approach. I've used Kiwi, and based on the texture and buildup I was able to achieve, I would think you could get buy without sanding down all the existing non-skid. It would be better if you sanded it down, though.

·
Master Mariner
9,233 Posts
The most important thing about a job like that is prepping the surface. Getting into the holes in the old non-skid will require either a lot of tiny work, or sanding the deck until it is flat. You can slap something over the surface as is, but it won't adhere well.

·
Barquito
3,777 Posts
When I redid by deck, I sanded it all down flat. That was a LOT of work. I wonder if you used a wire brush fitting on a drill or grinder, if that would remove all the old paint in the valleys of the pattern. It may also work to media blast it. Fixing cracks and sealing fittings is a given for all deck restorations regardless of the finish.

·
Registered
2008 Jeanneau 39i S/V Grace
808 Posts
FWIW- I brush cleaned the old imprinted non skid with laquer thinner then painted Kiwigrip over it. Six years later it still holds up well.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll concur with rbrasi above. I have a 89' Catalina 36 with the imprinted deck. I used a product from Jamestown distributors called 'total boat total tread' I wire brushed the deck, used their surface prep and painted away. It turned out great, and well its been 6 months, not years and it so far is great and we have received many compliments. I hope it holds up fro the 6 years the previous gentleman has experienced. Good luck, taping off deck hardware, or removing it is going to be the most time consuming.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a 70's era ensign that I am going to be doing an overhaul on this winter. I am working on getting all the supplies together. The deck currently has a very damaged imprinted non skid on it which I'd like to cover if at all possible. I searched and found a lot of older threads that were helpful but figured I would revive the topic and see if any new experience or suggestions are out there.

I recently was on a boat where the owner used Kiwigrip and the stuff looked beautiful and worked great. He swears by it and it was his first time doing anything like this on his own and it looks like it was done by a professional.

I am looking to redo my deck and it seems like this might be the answer for the non skid areas. My current problem is the old imprinted nonskid is very worn, in many places there have been repairs where it was never replaced and the area is slick.

I was wondering if anyone can speak of there experience covering an imprinted nonskid with kiwi grip and if it was able to hide the old texture or if it ultimately came through. I am anticipating sanding the entire deck down prior to application so I'd have the imprint sanded as best as possible. I am wondering if Kiwigrip or another product might go on thick enough to "hide" the old texture / imprint so that I get a nice uniform look.

Any suggestions or View attachment 140275 alternatives are welcome.

Sorry for the poor picture I'm not at the boat to take a picture but it gives you an idea what I am dealing with.
SEM Makes a wonderful two-part product comes in colors and can be tinted it can be sprayed or rolled on and it said to have the best non-skid grip

·
Registered
484 Posts
KIWI will hide a multitude of imperfections. If you buy the white you can have your local paint store tint it any color you like. Of course prep is important. If water gets under it, it will lift.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts