SailNet Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like one blade is stuck and not moving properly. We noticed the engine was getting hot for some reason and i think that might be the problem.

Tommorow we will dive under, remove the small line that is stuck in there and try to get that blade to work. I am wondering how hard it would be to fix this or to remove the prop from there while in the water.

Link to video= propeller on Vimeo

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
First of all I hope you were holding a go pro on a stick and not diving on it! Looks like that bit of line is actually tangled up in one of the "working blades" but it is hard to see. Interesting video, I have never seen one of these in action.

·
Old enough to know better
4,345 Posts
Gopro is on a pole.
Yea, I was thinking "Hey it must cold up there!" Not to mention the risk of getting chopped up. I kind of have an unnatural fear of propellers as I knew someone as a child who almost got his leg taken off. Well perhaps that is a natural fear! But that water must be cold. nice and clear though.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Could be the stiff blade need greasing. For mine after 6 months the blades seems to don't want to feather to reverse. Need some hoaxing by putting forward then reverse before it'll feather to reverse. After greasing blades rods and hub no problem for next 6 months.

·
Registered
364 Posts
The blades should be tethered together in the hub so they rotate together. Yours are flopping around, and each is separate to the others.
So it has to be removed and the internal broken part replaced. There is an adjusting screw that sets the various pitches. Its loss may result in what you are seeing.
Kiwi states that their removal is very easy to do.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts