SailNet Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a sailboat that her auxiliary has been re-powered with a 30 hp Kubota diesel. Model# 1105. Is anyone familiar with the Kubota diesels? Any opinions either good, or bad?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I'm looking at a sailboat that her auxiliary has been re-powered with a 30 hp Kubota diesel. Model# 1105. Is anyone familiar with the Kubota diesels? Any opinions either good, or bad?
Kubota made the diesel engines marketed by Universal. They have a pretty good reputation and are almost ubiquitous in North American sailboats from the late 70s on. Mine is an 84 and still going very strongly.

The fact that yours has recently been re-engined with the latest model sounds like a bonus.

In the US they seem to be sold by Beta Marine and called the Beta 30 or BV1105.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
also, there are numerous references and shop manuals for Kubota diesels across the web. It makes DIY possible, and helps the services, if you have work contracted out, get the info that they need.

You can probably find an X-reference table for Kubota 1105 to Universal Marine xxx somewhere.

·
Learning the HARD way...
7,145 Posts
I do not know, but suspect that yours may be equivalent to an Universal Model M-35A, a 4 cylinder engine producing 22.3 kW / 30 hp at 3,200 rpm,

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I do not know, but suspect that yours may be equivalent to an Universal Model M-35A, a 4 cylinder engine producing 22.3 kW / 30 hp at 3,200 rpm,
When you look at the development from Universal 5424 to M30 to BV1105 what seems to have changed most is fuel economy. My 5424 will use about twice as much fuel for a given power as the latest models. Also RPM at peak power shifts upwards so later models should require different props to give their best.

·
Old Fart
514 Posts
Beta

I repowered with a Beta 37 five years ago and love it. It is far smoother and quieter that the old Volvo and is very economical to run. Routine maintenance is also easy as all you normally need to access is right up front. The only thing I don't love is that the oil filter is mounted horizontally on the side of the engine so I always spill a little oil during a change. They sell a remote filter kit but I have no room for it anywhere nearby.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys,

Thanks for input. A lot of good stuff here. I know the Kubota tractors have a good rep. Glad to hear that the adapted boat engines do as well.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Take the part numbers on the Marine Diesel Direct site with a grain of salt. Many times they are different than the Kubota number. Kubota IDs the engine by tractor model, you need to stop by a Kubota dealer and talk with the parts folks to figure it out.

Love my M25xp (Kubota D950) 1990 model year still running strong.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts